(A) There is hereby created the Ohio developmental disabilities council, which shall serve as an advocate for all persons with developmental disabilities. The council shall act in accordance with the "Developmental Disabilities Assistance and Bill of Rights Act," 98 Stat. 2662 (1984), 42 U.S.C. 6001, as amended. The governor shall appoint the members of the council in accordance with 42 U.S.C. 6024.
(B) The council shall develop the state plan required by federal law as a condition of receiving federal assistance under 42 U.S.C. 6021 to 6030. The department of developmental disabilities, as the state agency selected by the governor for purposes of receiving the federal assistance, shall receive, account for, and disburse funds based on the state plan and shall provide assurances and other administrative support services required as a condition of receiving the federal assistance.
(C) The federal funds may be disbursed through grants to or contracts with persons and government agencies for the provision of necessary or useful goods and services for persons with developmental disabilities. The council may award the grants or enter into the contracts.
(D) The council may award grants to or enter into contracts with a member of the council or an entity that the member represents if all of the following apply:
(1) The member serves on the council as a representative of one of the principal state agencies concerned with services for persons with developmental disabilities as specified in 42 U.S.C. 6024(b)(3), a representative of a university affiliated program as defined in 42 U.S.C. 6001(18), or a representative of the Ohio protection and advocacy system, as defined in section 5123.60 of the Revised Code.
(2) The council determines that the member or the entity the member represents is capable of providing the goods or services specified under the terms of the grant or contract.
(3) The member has not taken part in any discussion or vote of the council related to awarding the grant or entering into the contract, including service as a member of a review panel established by the council to award grants or enter into contracts or to make recommendations with regard to awarding grants or entering into contracts.
(E) A member of the council is not in violation of Chapter 102. or section 2921.42 of the Revised Code with regard to receiving a grant or entering into a contract under this section if the requirements of division (D) of this section have been met.
(1) Notwithstanding division (C) of section 121.22 of the Revised Code, the requirement for a member's presence in person at a meeting in order to be part of a quorum or to vote does not apply if the council holds a meeting by interactive video conference and all of the following apply:
(a) A primary meeting location that is open and accessible to the public is established for the meeting of the council;
(b) A clear video and audio connection is established that enables all meeting participants at the primary meeting location to witness the participation of each member;
(c) A roll call vote is recorded for each vote taken;
(d) The minutes of the council identify which members participated by interactive video conference.
(2) Notwithstanding division (C) of section 121.22 of the Revised Code, the requirement for a member's presence in person at a meeting in order to be part of a quorum or to vote does not apply if the council holds a meeting by teleconference and all of the following apply:
(a) The council has determined its membership does not have access to and the council cannot provide access to the equipment needed to conduct interactive video conferencing;
(b) A primary meeting location that is open and accessible to the public is established for the meeting of the council;
(c) A clear audio connection is established that enables all meeting participants at the primary meeting location to hear the participation of each member;
(d) A roll call vote is recorded for each vote taken;
(e) The minutes of the council identify which members participated by teleconference.
(3) The council shall adopt any rules the council considers necessary to implement this section. The rules shall be adopted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code. At a minimum, the rules shall do all of the following:
(a) Authorize council members to remotely attend a council meeting by interactive video conference or teleconference in lieu of attending the meeting in person;
(b) Establish a minimum number of members required to be physically present in person at the primary meeting location if the council conducts a meeting by interactive video conference or teleconference;
(c) Establish geographic restrictions for participation in meetings by interactive video conference or teleconference;
(d) Establish a policy for distributing and circulating necessary documents to council members, the public, and the media in advance of a meeting at which members are permitted to attend by interactive video conference or teleconference;
(e) Establish a method for verifying the identity of a member who remotely attends a meeting by teleconference.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 158, §1, eff. 10/12/2016.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 286, §1, eff. 9/17/2014.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §120.20, eff. 10/1/2012.
Amended by 128th General Assemblych.28, SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 10-29-1993; 12-30-2004; 06-27-200.
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4 .