(A) The department of developmental disabilities shall establish a program under which the department issues certificates to the following:
(1) MR/DD personnel, for purposes of meeting the requirement of division (C)(1) of section 5123.42 of the Revised Code to obtain a certificate or certificates to administer prescribed medications, perform health-related activities, and perform tube feedings;
(2) Registered nurses, for purposes of meeting the requirement of division (B)(1) of section 5123.441 of the Revised Code to obtain a certificate or certificates to provide the MR/DD personnel training courses developed under section 5123.43 of the Revised Code.
(1) Except as provided in division (B)(2) of this section, to receive a certificate issued under this section, MR/DD personnel and registered nurses shall successfully complete the applicable training course or courses and meet all other applicable requirements established in rules adopted pursuant to this section. The department shall issue the appropriate certificate or certificates to MR/DD personnel and registered nurses who meet the requirements for the certificate or certificates.
(2) The department shall include provisions in the program for issuing certificates to MR/DD personnel and registered nurses who were required to be included in the certificate program pursuant to division (B)(2) of this section as that division existed immediately before the effective date of this amendment. MR/DD personnel who receive a certificate under division (B)(2) of this section shall not administer insulin until they have been trained by a registered nurse who has received a certificate under this section that allows the registered nurse to provide training courses to MR/DD personnel in the administration of insulin . A registered nurse who receives a certificate under division (B)(2) of this section shall not provide training courses to MR/DD personnel in the administration of insulin unless the registered nurse completes a course developed under section 5123.44 of the Revised Code that enables the registered nurse to receive a certificate to provide training courses to MR/DD personnel in the administration of insulin.
(C) Certificates issued to MR/DD personnel are valid for one year and may be renewed. Certificates issued to registered nurses are valid for two years and may be renewed.
To be eligible for renewal, MR/DD personnel and registered nurses shall meet the applicable continued competency requirements and continuing education requirements specified in rules adopted under division (D) of this section. In the case of registered nurses, continuing nursing education completed in compliance with the license renewal requirements established under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code may be counted toward meeting the continuing education requirements established in the rules adopted under division (D) of this section.
(1) Requirements that MR/DD personnel and registered nurses must meet to be eligible to take a training course;
(2) Standards that must be met to receive a certificate, including requirements pertaining to an applicant's criminal background;
(3) Procedures to be followed in applying for a certificate and issuing a certificate;
(4) Standards and procedures for renewing a certificate, including requirements for continuing education and, in the case of MR/DD personnel who administer prescribed medications, standards that require successful demonstration of proficiency in administering prescribed medications;
(5) Standards and procedures for suspending or revoking a certificate;
(6) Standards and procedures for suspending a certificate without a hearing pending the outcome of an investigation;
(7) Any other standards or procedures the department considers necessary to administer the certification program.
Cite as R.C. § 5123.45
History. Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2011.
Amended by 128th General Assemblych.28, SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 03-31-2003