As used in sections 5123.50 to 5123.542 of the Revised Code:
(A) "Abuse" means all of the following:
(1) The use of physical force that can reasonably be expected to result in physical harm or serious physical harm;
(2) Sexual abuse;
(3) Verbal abuse.
(B) "Misappropriation" means depriving, defrauding, or otherwise obtaining the real or personal property of an individual by any means prohibited by the Revised Code, including violations of Chapter 2911. or 2913. of the Revised Code.
(C) "MR/DD employee" means all of the following:
(1) An employee of the department of developmental disabilities;
(2) An employee of a county board of developmental disabilities;
(3) An employee in a position that includes providing specialized services to an individual with mental retardation or another developmental disability;
(4) An independent provider as defined in section 5123.16 of the Revised Code.
(D) "Neglect" means, when there is a duty to do so, failing to provide an individual with any treatment, care, goods, or services that are necessary to maintain the health and safety of the individual.
(E) "Offense of violence" has the same meaning as in section 2901.01 of the Revised Code.
(F) "Physical harm" and "serious physical harm" have the same meanings as in section 2901.01 of the Revised Code.
(G) "Prescribed medication" has the same meaning as in section 5123.41 of the Revised Code.
(H) "Sexual abuse" means unlawful sexual conduct or sexual contact.
(I) "Specialized services" means any program or service designed and operated to serve primarily individuals with mental retardation or a developmental disability, including a program or service provided by an entity licensed or certified by the department of developmental disabilities. A program or service available to the general public is not a specialized service.
(J) "Verbal abuse" means purposely using words to threaten, coerce, intimidate, harass, or humiliate an individual.
(K) "Sexual conduct," "sexual contact," and "spouse" have the same meanings as in section 2907.01 of the Revised Code.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127,HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Amended by 128th General Assemblych.127,SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 01-30-2004