(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Emergency" means either of the following that creates a risk of substantial harm to an individual or others if action is not taken within thirty days:
(a) Health and safety conditions that pose a serious risk of immediate harm or death to the individual or others;
(b) Changes in the emotional or physical condition of an individual that necessitates substantial accommodation that cannot reasonably be provided by the individual's existing caretaker.
(2) "Priority" means a situation creating a risk of substantial harm to an individual or others, but for which action within thirty days is not necessary.
(B) Prior to filing an affidavit under section 5123.71 of the Revised Code for the involuntary institutionalization of an individual, a person who is eligible to file under that section and intends to do so shall request that the county board of developmental disabilities conduct an assessment of the individual's needs. Not later than thirty days after the date a request is received, the board shall complete the assessment and provide to the person a report of its findings and recommendations. The report shall be delivered by certified mail.
Within three working days after receiving a request for an assessment, the board shall notify the department of developmental disabilities that the request has been made and that there is the potential for court-ordered institutionalization of an individual. The department may provide assistance to the board in the performance of the assessment.
(C) The board's assessment of an individual's needs shall include the following:
(1) A determination of the current needs of the individual, including an appropriate plan for services;
(2) A determination of whether the community is the least restrictive environment in which the individual may be appropriately served;
(3) A determination of whether the individual meets the conditions for assistance on an emergency or priority basis;
(4) Identification of available resources to meet the individual's needs, including service providers with the capability of appropriately meeting those needs, special ancillary services, and moneys to pay for the services necessary to meet the individual's needs within the community rather than in a state institution.
(D) If the board's assessment of an individual identifies that county resources are available to meet the individual's needs in the community, the board shall provide services to the individual or arrange for the provision of services. If county resources are not available, the board shall petition the department of developmental disabilities for necessary resources that may be available from the department.
Amended by 128th General Assemblych.28, SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 03-13-1997 .