(A) In addition to the rules adopted under division (A)(2) of section 5126.08 of the Revised Code establishing standards to be followed by county boards of developmental disabilities in administering, providing, arranging, and operating programs and services and in addition to the board accreditation system established under section 5126.081 of the Revised Code, the director of developmental disabilities shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code establishing standards for promoting and advancing the quality of life of individuals with mental retardation and developmental disabilities receiving any of the following:
(B) The rules adopted under this section shall specify the actions county boards of developmental disabilities and the agencies with which they contract should take to do the following:
(1) Offer individuals with mental retardation and developmental disabilities, and their families when appropriate, choices in programs and services that are centered on the needs and desires of those individuals;
(2) Maintain infants with their families whenever possible by collaborating with other agencies that provide services to infants and their families and taking other appropriate actions;
(3) Provide families that have children with mental retardation and developmental disabilities under age eighteen residing in their homes the resources necessary to allow the children to remain in their homes;
(4) Create and implement community employment services based on the needs and desires of adults with mental retardation and developmental disabilities;
(5) Create, in collaboration with other agencies, transportation systems that provide safe and accessible transportation within the county to individuals with disabilities;
(6) Provide services that allow individuals with disabilities to be integrated into the community by engaging in educational, vocational, and recreational activities with individuals who do not have disabilities;
(7) Provide age-appropriate retirement services for individuals age sixty-five and older with mental retardation and developmental disabilities;
(8) Establish residential services and supported living for individuals with mental retardation and developmental disabilities in accordance with their needs.
(C) To assist in funding programs and services that meet the standards established under this section, each county board of developmental disabilities shall make a good faith effort to acquire available federal funds, including reimbursements under Title XIX of the "Social Security Act," 79 Stat. 286 (1965), 42 U.S.C.A. 1396 , as amended.
(D) Each county board of developmental disabilities shall work toward full compliance with the standards established under this section, based on its available resources. Funds received under this chapter shall be used to comply with the standards. Annually, each board shall conduct a self audit to evaluate the board's progress in complying fully with the standards.
(E) The department shall complete a program quality review of each county board of developmental disabilities to determine the extent to which the board has complied with the standards. The review shall be conducted in conjunction with the comprehensive accreditation review of the board that is conducted under section 5126.081 of the Revised Code.
Notwithstanding any provision of this chapter or Chapter 5123. of the Revised Code requiring the department to distribute funds to county boards of developmental disabilities, the department may withhold funds from a board if it finds that the board is not in substantial compliance with the standards established under this section.
(F) When the standards for accreditation from the commission on accreditation of rehabilitation facilities, or another accrediting agency, meet or exceed the standards established under this section, the director may accept accreditation from the commission or other agency as evidence that the board is in compliance with all or part of the standards established under this section. Programs and services accredited by the commission or agency are exempt from the program quality reviews required by division (E) of this section.
Cite as R.C. § 5126.082
History. Amended by 128th General Assemblych.28, SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 09-22-2000