(A) In accordance with this section and the rules adopted under it and from funds appropriated to the department of youth services for the purposes of this section, the department shall make grants that provide financial resources to operate community corrections facilities for felony delinquents.
(1) Each community corrections facility that intends to seek a grant under this section shall file an application with the department of youth services at the time and in accordance with the procedures that the department shall establish by rules adopted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code. In addition to other items required to be included in the application, a plan that satisfies both of the following shall be included:
(a) It reduces the number of felony delinquents committed to the department from the county or counties associated with the community corrections facility.
(b) It ensures equal access for minority felony delinquents to the programs and services for which a potential grant would be used.
(2) The department of youth services shall review each application submitted pursuant to division (B)(1) of this section to determine whether the plan described in that division, the community corrections facility, and the application comply with this section and the rules adopted under it.
(C) To be eligible for a grant under this section and for continued receipt of moneys comprising a grant under this section, a community corrections facility shall satisfy at least all of the following requirements:
(1) Be constructed, reconstructed, improved, or financed by the Ohio building authority pursuant to section 307.021 of the Revised Code and Chapter 152. of the Revised Code for the use of the department of youth services and be designated as a community corrections facility;
(2) Have written standardized criteria governing the types of felony delinquents that are eligible for the programs and services provided by the facility;
(3) Have a written standardized intake screening process and an intake committee that at least performs both of the following tasks:
(a) Screens all eligible felony delinquents who are being considered for admission to the facility in lieu of commitment to the department;
(b) Notifies, within ten days after the date of the referral of a felony delinquent to the facility, the committing court whether the felony delinquent will be admitted to the facility.
(4) Comply with all applicable fiscal and program rules that the department adopts in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code and demonstrate that felony delinquents served by the facility have been or will be diverted from a commitment to the department.
(D) The department of youth services shall determine the method of distribution of the funds appropriated for grants under this section to community corrections facilities.
(1) The department of youth services shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code to establish the minimum occupancy threshold of community corrections facilities.
(2) The department may make referrals for the placement of children in its custody to a community corrections facility. At least forty-five days prior to the referral of a child or within any shorter period prior to the referral of the child that the committing court may allow, the department shall notify the committing court of its intent to place the child in a community corrections facility. The court shall have thirty days after the receipt of the notice to approve or disapprove the placement. If the court does not respond to the notice of the placement within that thirty-day period, the department shall proceed with the placement and debit the county in accordance with sections 5139.41 to 5139.43 of the Revised Code. A child placed in a community corrections facility pursuant to this division shall remain in the legal custody of the department of youth services during the period in which the child is in the community corrections facility.
(3) Counties that are not associated with a community corrections facility may refer children to a community corrections facility with the consent of the facility. The department of youth services shall debit the county that makes the referral in accordance with sections 5139.41 to 5139.43 of the Revised Code.
(F) The board or other governing body of a community corrections facility shall meet not less often than once per quarter. A community corrections facility may reimburse the members of the board or other governing body of the facility and the members of an advisory board created by the board or other governing body of the facility for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties . The members of the board or other governing body of the facility and the members of an advisory board created by the board or other governing body of the facility shall serve without compensation.
Effective Date: 09-26-2003; 09-29-2005; 2008 HB130 04-07-2009