(1) There is hereby created the RECLAIM advisory committee that shall be composed of the following nine members:
(a) Two members shall be juvenile court judges appointed by the Ohio association of juvenile and family court judges.
(b) One member shall be the director of youth services or the director's designee.
(c) One member shall be the director of budget and management or the director's designee.
(d) One member shall be a member of a senate committee dealing with finance or criminal justice issues appointed by the president of the senate.
(e) One member shall be a member of a committee of the house of representatives dealing with finance or criminal justice issues appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
(f) One member shall be a member of a board of county commissioners appointed by the county commissioners association of Ohio.
(g) Two members shall be juvenile court administrators appointed by the Ohio association of juvenile and family court judges.
(2) The members of the committee shall be appointed or designated within thirty days after the effective date of this section, and the director of youth services shall be notified of the names of the members.
(3) Members described in divisions (A)(1)(a), (f), and (g) of this section shall serve for terms of two years and shall hold office from the date of the member's appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed. Members described in divisions (A)(1)(b) and (c) of this section shall serve as long as they hold the office described in that division. Members described in divisions (A)(1)(d) and (e) of this section shall serve for the duration of the session of the general assembly during which they were appointed, provided they continue to hold the office described in that division. The members described in divisions (A)(1)(a), (d), (e), (f), and (g) may be reappointed. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner provided for original appointments. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration date of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office as a member for the remainder of that term. A member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first.
(4) Membership on the committee does not constitute the holding of an incompatible public office or employment in violation of any statutory or common law prohibition pertaining to the simultaneous holding of more than one public office or employment. Members of the committee are not disqualified from holding by reason of that membership and do not forfeit because of that membership their public office or employment that qualifies them for membership on the committee notwithstanding any contrary disqualification or forfeiture requirement under existing Revised Code sections.
(B) The director of youth services shall serve as an interim chair of the RECLAIM advisory committee until the first meeting of the committee. Upon receipt of the names of the members of the committee, the director shall schedule the initial meeting of the committee that shall take place at an appropriate location in Columbus and occur not later than sixty days after the effective date of this section. The director shall notify the members of the committee of the time, date, and place of the meeting. At the initial meeting, the committee shall organize itself by selecting from among its members a chair, vice-chair, and secretary. The committee shall meet at least once each quarter of the calendar year but may meet more frequently at the call of the chair.
(C) In addition to its functions with respect to the RECLAIM program described in section 5139.41 of the Revised Code, the RECLAIM advisory committee periodically shall do all of the following:
(1) Evaluate the operation of the RECLAIM program by the department of youth services, evaluate the implementation of the RECLAIM program by the counties, and evaluate the efficiency of the formula described in section 5139.41 of the Revised Code. In conducting these evaluations, the committee shall consider the public policy that RECLAIM funds are to be expended to provide the most appropriate programs and services for felony delinquents and other youthful offenders.
(2) Advise the department of youth services, the office of budget and management, and the general assembly on the following changes that the committee believes should be made:
(a) Changes to sections of the Revised Code that pertain to the RECLAIM program, specifically the formula specified in section 5139.41 of the Revised Code;
(b) Changes in the funding level for the RECLAIM program, specifically the amounts distributed under the formula for county allocations, community correctional facilities, and juvenile correctional facility budgets.
Effective Date: 09-26-2003