(A) The medicaid director may enter into a contract with one or more persons to receive and process, on the director's behalf, requests for medicaid recipient or claims payment data, data from reports of audits conducted under section 5165.109 of the Revised Code, or extracts or analyses of any of the foregoing data made by persons who intend to use the items for commercial or academic purposes.
(B) At a minimum, a contract entered into under this section shall do both of the following:
(1) Authorize the contracting person to engage in the activities described in division (A) of this section for compensation, which must be stated as a percentage of the fees paid by persons who are provided the items;
(2) Specify the schedule of fees the contracting person is to charge for the items.
(C) Except as required by federal or state law and subject to division (E) of this section, both of the following conditions apply with respect to a request for data described in division (A) of this section:
(1) The request shall be made through a person who has entered into a contract with the medicaid director under this section.
(2) An item prepared pursuant to the request may be provided to the department of medicaid and is confidential and not subject to disclosure under section 149.43 or 1347.08 of the Revised Code.
(D) The medicaid director shall use fees the director receives pursuant to a contract entered into under this section to pay obligations specified in contracts entered under this section. Any money remaining after the obligations are paid shall be deposited in the health care services administration fund created under section 5162.54 of the Revised Code.
(E) This section does not apply to requests for medicaid recipient or claims payment data, data from reports of audits conducted under section 5165.109 of the Revised Code, or extracts or analyses of any of the foregoing data that are for any of the following purposes:
(1) Treatment of medicaid recipients;
(2) Payment of medicaid claims;
(3) Establishment or management of medicaid third party liability pursuant to sections 5160.35 to 5160.43 of the Revised Code;
(4) Compliance with the terms of an agreement the medicaid director enters into for purposes of administering the medicaid program;
(5) Compliance with an operating protocol the executive director of the office of health transformation or the executive director's designee adopts under division (D) of section 191.06 of the Revised Code.
Added by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 1/1/2014.