(A) There is hereby established the pharmacy and therapeutics committee of the department of medicaid. The committee shall assist the department with developing and maintaining a preferred drug list for the medicaid program.
The committee shall review and recommend to the medicaid director the drugs that should be included on the preferred drug list. The recommendations shall be made based on the evaluation of competent evidence regarding the relative safety, efficacy, and effectiveness of prescribed drugs within a class or classes of prescribed drugs.
(B) The committee shall consist of ten members and shall be appointed by the medicaid director . The director shall seek recommendations for membership from relevant professional organizations. A candidate for membership recommended by a professional organization shall have professional experience working with medicaid recipients.
The membership of the committee shall include:
(1) Three pharmacists licensed under Chapter 4729. of the Revised Code;
(2) Two doctors of medicine and two doctors of osteopathy who hold certificates to practice issued under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code, one of whom is a family practice physician;
(3) A registered nurse licensed under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code;
(4) A pharmacologist who has a doctoral degree;
(5) A psychiatrist who holds a certificate to practice issued under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code and specializes in psychiatry.
(C) The committee shall elect from among its members a chairperson. Five committee members constitute a quorum.
The committee shall establish guidelines necessary for the committee's operation.
The committee may establish one or more subcommittees to investigate and analyze issues consistent with the duties of the committee under this section. The subcommittees may submit proposals regarding the issues to the committee and the committee may adopt, reject, or modify the proposals.
A vote by a majority of a quorum is necessary to make recommendations to the director. In the case of a tie, the chairperson shall decide the outcome.
(D) The director shall act on the committee's recommendations not later than thirty days after the recommendation is posted on the department's web site under division (F) of this section. If the director does not accept a recommendation of the committee, the director shall present the basis for this determination not later than fourteen days after making the determination or at the next scheduled meeting of the committee, whichever is sooner.
(E) An interested party may request, and shall be permitted, to make a presentation or submit written materials to the committee during a committee meeting. The presentation or other materials shall be relevant to an issue under consideration by the committee and any written material, including a transcript of testimony to be given on the day of the meeting, may be submitted to the committee in advance of the meeting.
(F) The department shall post the following on the department's web site:
(1) Guidelines established by the committee under division (C) of this section;
(2) A detailed committee agenda not later than fourteen days prior to the date of a regularly scheduled meeting and not later than seventy-two hours prior to the date of a special meeting called by the committee;
(3) Committee recommendations not later than seven days after the meeting at which the recommendation was approved;
(4) The director's final determination as to the recommendations made by the committee under this section.
History. Renumbered from § 5111.084 by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 07-01-2006; 2007 HB119 09-29-2007; 2008 HB562 09-22-2008
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39, SB 171, §4