(A) For the purpose of distributing funds to hospitals under the medicaid program pursuant to sections 5168.01 to 5168.14 of the Revised Code and depositing funds into the legislative budget services fund under section 5168.12 of the Revised Code and into the health care services administration fund created under section 5162.54 of the Revised Code, there is hereby imposed an assessment on all hospitals. Each hospital's assessment shall be based on total facility costs. All hospitals shall be assessed according to the rate or rates established each program year in rules adopted under section 5168.02 of the Revised Code. The department shall assess all hospitals uniformly and in a manner consistent with federal statutes and regulations. During any program year, the department shall not assess any hospital more than two per cent of the hospital's total facility costs.
The department shall establish an assessment rate or rates each program year that will do both of the following:
(1) Yield funds that, when combined with intergovernmental transfers and federal matching funds, will produce a program of sufficient size to pay a substantial portion of the indigent care provided by hospitals;
(2) Yield funds that, when combined with intergovernmental transfers and federal matching funds, will produce amounts for distribution to disproportionate share hospitals that do not exceed, in the aggregate, the limits prescribed by the United States health care financing administration under the "Social Security Act," section 1923(f), 42 U.S.C. 1396r-4(f).
(1) Except as provided in division (B)(3) of this section, each hospital shall pay its assessment in periodic installments in accordance with a schedule established in rules adopted under section 5168.02 of the Revised Code.
(2) The installments shall be equal in amount, unless either of the following applies:
(a) The department makes adjustments during a program year under division (D) of section 5168.08 of the Revised Code in the total amount of hospitals' assessments;
(b) The medicaid director determines that adjustments in the amounts of installments are necessary for the administration of sections 5168.01 to 5168.14 of the Revised Code and that unequal installments will not create cash flow difficulties for hospitals.
(3) The director may adopt rules under section 5168.02 of the Revised Code establishing alternate schedules for hospitals to pay assessments under this section in order to reduce hospitals' cash flow difficulties.
Repealed by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §125.10, eff. 10/16/2015.
Renumbered from § 5112.06 by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.