(A) There is hereby created the AMBER alert advisory committee, consisting of members to be appointed by the governor. The committee shall advise the governor, the attorney general, the department of public safety, and law enforcement agencies on an ongoing basis on the implementation, operation, improvement, and evaluation of the statewide emergency alert program created under section 5502.52 of the Revised Code.
(B) Initial appointments to the committee shall be made within thirty days after the effective date of this section. Terms of office shall be for two years. Members may be reappointed. Vacancies shall be filled in the same manner as provided for original appointments.
(C) The committee shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) The governor's designee;
(2) A representative from the department of public safety, representing the emergency management agency;
(3) A representative from the department of public safety, representing the state highway patrol;
(4) A representative from the attorney general's office--missing children clearing house;
(5) A representative from the state emergency communications committee;
(6) A representative from the federal bureau of investigation;
(7) A representative from the buckeye state sheriffs association;
(8) A representative from the Ohio association of chiefs of police;
(9) A broadcast industry designee;
(10) A victim or a victim's advocate;
(11) A representative from a local or regional AMBER plan;
(12) A representative of any other agency or organization as deemed appropriate by the governor.
(D) The governor shall select one member to serve as chairperson for a two-year term.
(E) The committee may meet periodically to review and evaluate the operation and effectiveness of the statewide emergency alert program, develop recommendations for procedures to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the program, and work in a coordinated effort to make recommendations for needed legislative change.
(F) Members of the committee shall serve without compensation.
Effective Date: 01-09-2003
Related Legislative Provision: See 129th General AssemblyFile No.39,SB 171, §4