(A) Except as provided in division (B)(1) or (2) of this section or in section 5705.281 of the Revised Code, the taxing authority of each subdivision or other taxing unit shall adopt a tax budget for the next succeeding fiscal year:
(1) On or before the fifteenth day of January in the case of school districts and the city of Cincinnati;
(2) On or before the fifteenth day of July in the case of all other subdivisions and taxing units.
(1) Before the first day of June in each year, the board of trustees of a school library district entitled to participate in any appropriation or revenue of a school district or to have a tax proposed by the board of education of a school district shall file with the board of education of the school district a tax budget for the ensuing fiscal year. On or before the fifteenth day of July in each year, the board of education of a school district to which a school library district tax budget was submitted under this division shall adopt such tax budget on behalf of the library district, but such budget shall not be part of the school district's tax budget.
(a) The taxing authority of a taxing unit that does not levy a tax is not required to adopt a tax budget pursuant to division (A) of this section. Instead, on or before the fifteenth day of July each year, such taxing authority shall adopt an operating budget for the taxing unit for the ensuing fiscal year. The operating budget shall include an estimate of receipts from all sources, a statement of all taxing unit expenses that are anticipated to occur, and the amount required for debt charges during the fiscal year. The operating budget is not required to be filed with the county auditor or the county budget commission.
(b) Except for this section and sections 5705.36 , 5705.38 , 5705.40 , 5705.41 , 5705.43 , 5705.44 , and 5705.45 of the Revised Code, a taxing unit that does not levy a tax is not a taxing unit for purposes of Chapter 5705. of the Revised Code. Documents prepared in accordance with such sections are not required to be filed with the county auditor or county budget commission.
(c) The total appropriations from each fund of a taxing unit that does not levy a tax shall not exceed the total estimated revenue available for expenditures from the fund, and appropriations shall be made from each fund only for the purposes for which the fund is established.
(1) To assist in the preparation of the tax budget, the head of each department, board, commission, and district authority entitled to participate in any appropriation or revenue of a subdivision shall file with the taxing authority, or in the case of a municipal corporation, with its chief executive officer, before the forty-fifth day prior to the date on which the budget must be adopted, an estimate of contemplated revenue and expenditures for the ensuing fiscal year, in such form as is prescribed by the taxing authority of the subdivision or by the auditor of state. The taxing authority shall include in its budget of expenditures the full amounts requested by district authorities, not to exceed the amount authorized by law, if such authorities may fix the amount of revenue they are to receive from the subdivision. In a municipal corporation in which a special levy for a municipal university has been authorized to be levied in excess of the ten-mill limitation, or is required by the charter of the municipal corporation, the taxing authority shall include an amount not less than the estimated yield of such levy, if such amount is requested by the board of directors of the municipal university.
(2) A county board of developmental disabilities may include within its estimate of contemplated revenue and expenditures a reserve balance account in the community developmental disabilities residential services fund. The account shall contain money that is not needed to pay for current expenses for residential services and supported living but will be needed to pay for expenses for such services in the future or may be needed for unanticipated emergency expenses. On the request of the county board of developmental disabilities, the board of county commissioners shall include such an account in its budget of expenditures and appropriate money to the account from residential service moneys for the county board.
(D) The board of trustees of any public library desiring to participate in the distribution of the county public library fund shall adopt appropriate rules extending the benefits of the library service of such library to all the inhabitants of the county on equal terms, unless such library service is by law available to all such inhabitants, and shall certify a copy of such rules to the taxing authority with its estimate of contemplated revenue and expenditures. Where such rules have been so certified or where the adoption of such rules is not required, the taxing authority shall include in its budget of receipts such amounts as are specified by such board as contemplated revenue from the county public library fund, and in its budget of expenditures the full amounts requested therefrom by such board. No library association, incorporated or unincorporated, is entitled to participate in the proceeds of the county public library fund unless such association both was organized and operating prior to January 1, 1968, and participated in the distribution of the proceeds of the county public library fund prior to December 31, 2005.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Amended by 128th General Assemblych.127, SB 79, §1, eff. 10/6/2009.
Effective Date: 06-08-2000; 2008 SB185 06-20-2008