(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Exclusive property" means real and personal property that is installed, used, and necessary for the operation of an exempt facility, and that is not auxiliary property unless the auxiliary property exempt cost equals or exceeds eighty-five per cent of the total cost of the property.
(2) "Auxiliary property" means personal property installed, used, and necessary for the operation of an exempt facility that is also used in other operations of the business other than an exempt facility purpose described in section 5709.20 of the Revised Code. "Auxiliary property" does not include property with an auxiliary property exempt cost that is less than or equal to fifteen per cent of the total cost of such property.
(3) "Auxiliary property exempt cost" means the cost of auxiliary property calculated as follows:
(a) If the auxiliary property is used for an exempt facility purpose for discrete periods of time, the exempt cost shall be determined by the ratio of time the auxiliary property is in use in such exempt capacity to the total time it is in use. Division (A)(3)(a) of this section does not apply if the property is concurrently used for an exempt facility purpose and a nonexempt facility purpose.
(b) The applicant has the burden of proving the exempt cost of all auxiliary property not described in division (A)(3)(a) of this section.
(c) Any cost related to an expansion of the commercial or industrial site that is not related to the operation of the exempt facility shall not be included as an auxiliary exempt cost under division (A)(3) of this section.
(B) Application for an exempt facility certificate shall be filed with the tax commissioner in such manner and in such form as prescribed by the tax commissioner property, including all materials incorporated or to be incorporated therein and their associated costs, and a descriptive list of all equipment acquired or to be acquired by the applicant for the exempt facility and its associated cost. If the commissioner finds that the property was designed primarily as an exempt facility and is suitable and reasonably adequate for such purpose and is intended for such purpose, the commissioner shall enter a finding and issue a certificate to that effect. The effective date of the certificate shall be the date the application was made for such certificate or the date of the construction of the facility, whichever is earlier.
Nothing in this section shall be construed to extend the time period to file, to keep the time period to file open, or supersede the requirement of filing a tax refund or other tax reduction request in the manner and within the time prescribed by law.
(1) Except as provided in division (C)(2) of this section, the certificate shall permit tax exemption pursuant to section 5709.25 of the Revised Code only for that portion of such exempt facility that is exclusive property used for a purpose enumerated in section 5709.20 of the Revised Code.
(2) Auxiliary property shall be permitted a partial tax exemption under section 5709.25 of the Revised Code, but only to the extent allowed pursuant to division (A)(3) of this section.
(D) The tax commissioner may allow an applicant to file one application that applies to more than one exempt facility that are the same or substantially similar, so long as such facilities are located within the same county.
Effective Date: 09-26-2003