(A) As used in this section, "detached improvement" means an improvement as defined in section 5709.41 of the Revised Code that satisfies all of the following:
(1) The ordinance declaring the improvement to be a public purpose was adopted under section 5709.41 of the Revised Code by a municipal corporation that is a party to a contract creating a joint economic development district under section 715.70 or 715.71 of the Revised Code.
(2) The improvement relates to a parcel of property located in territory that is detached by that municipal corporation to a township that is a party to the same contract creating the joint economic development district, pursuant to that contract and section 709.38 of the Revised Code.
(3) The ordinance declaring the improvements to be a public purpose is adopted prior to the detachment of that territory.
(B) The exemption from taxation for detached improvements under section 5709.41 of the Revised Code shall continue for the period prescribed in that section and the ordinance under which the improvements are declared to be a public purpose, or any amendments to the ordinance, even if the detachment occurs prior to the end of that period.
(1) The municipal corporation may require the owner of any building or structure located on a parcel to which the detached improvement relates to pay service payments in lieu of taxes under section 5709.42 of the Revised Code after the territory including the detached improvement is detached. The service payments shall be distributed to the municipal corporation as provided in that section.
(2) The municipal corporation may use the service payments received under division (C)(1) of this section as prescribed by section 5709.43 of the Revised Code and the ordinance declaring the detached improvements to be a public purpose. The legislative authority of the municipal corporation may amend the ordinance to permit the service payments to be used to pay the cost of streets, roads, water lines, sewers, and other public infrastructure improvements as defined in section 5709.40 of the Revised Code extending from the municipal corporation to the detached territory or to the joint economic development district, or located on the detached territory or in the joint economic development district, or to pay debt service charges on securities issued by the municipal corporation to finance those public infrastructure improvements.
Effective Date: 12-13-2001