(A) On or before the last day of each month, each motor fuel dealer shall file with the tax commissioner a report for the preceding calendar month, on forms prescribed by or in a form acceptable to the tax commissioner. The report shall include the following information:
(1) An itemized statement of the number of gallons of all motor fuel received during the preceding calendar month by such motor fuel dealer, which has been produced, refined, prepared, distilled, manufactured, blended, or compounded by such motor fuel dealer in the state;
(2) An itemized statement of the number of gallons of all motor fuel received by such motor fuel dealer in the state from any source during the preceding calendar month, other than motor fuel included in division (A)(1) of this section, together with a statement showing the date of receipt of such motor fuel; the name of the person from whom purchased or received; the date of receipt of each shipment of motor fuel; the point of origin and the point of destination of each shipment; the quantity of each of said purchases or shipments; the name of the carrier; the number of gallons contained in each car if shipped by rail; the point of origin, destination, and shipper if shipped by pipe line; or the name and owner of the boat, barge, or vessel if shipped by water;
(3) An itemized statement of the number of gallons of motor fuel which such motor fuel dealer has during the preceding calendar month:
(a) For motor fuel other than gasoline sold for use other than for operating motor vehicles on the public highways or on waters within the boundaries of this state;
(c) Sold to the United States government or any of its agencies;
(d) Sold for delivery to motor fuel dealers;
(e) Sold exclusively for use in the operation of aircraft;
(4) Such other information incidental to the enforcement of the motor fuel laws of the state as the commissioner requires.
(B) The report shall show the tax due, computed as follows:
(1) The following deductions shall be made from the total number of gallons of motor fuel received by the motor fuel dealer within the state during the preceding calendar month:
(a) The total number of gallons of motor fuel received by the motor fuel dealer within the state and sold or otherwise disposed of during the preceding calendar month as set forth in section 5735.05 of the Revised Code;
(c) To cover the costs of the motor fuel dealer in compiling the report, and evaporation, shrinkage, or other unaccounted-for losses:
(i) If the report is timely filed and the tax is timely paid, three per cent of the total number of gallons of motor fuel received by the motor fuel dealer within the state during the preceding calendar month less the total number of gallons deducted under divisions (B)(1)(a) and (b) of this section, less one per cent of the total number of gallons of motor fuel that were sold to a retail dealer during the preceding calendar month;
(ii) If the report required by division (A) of this section is not timely filed and the tax is not timely paid, no deduction shall be allowed;
(iii) If the report is incomplete, no deduction shall be allowed for any fuel on which the tax is not timely reported and paid;
(2) The number of gallons remaining after the deductions have been made shall be multiplied separately by each of the following amounts:
(a) The cents per gallon rate;
(b) Two cents.
The sum of the products obtained in divisions (B)(2)(a) and (b) of this section shall be the amount of motor fuel tax for the preceding calendar month.
(C) The report shall be filed together with payment of the tax shown on the report to be due, unless the motor fuel dealer is required by section 5735.062 of the Revised Code to pay the tax by electronic funds transfer, in which case the dealer shall file the report pursuant to this section and pay the tax pursuant to section 5735.062 of the Revised Code. The commissioner may extend the time for filing reports and may remit all or part of penalties which may become due under sections 5735.01 to 5735.99 of the Revised Code. For purposes of this section and sections 5735.062 and 5735.12 of the Revised Code, a report required to be filed under this section is considered filed when it is received by the tax commissioner, and remittance of the tax due is considered to be made when the remittance is received by the tax commissioner or when credited to an account designated by the treasurer of state and the tax commissioner for the receipt of tax remittances. The tax commissioner shall immediately forward to the treasurer of state all amounts received under this section.
(D) The tax commissioner may require a motor fuel dealer to file a report for a period other than one month. Such a report, together with payment of the tax, shall be filed not later than thirty days after the last day of the prescribed reporting period.
(E) No person required by this section to file a tax report shall file a false or fraudulent tax report or supporting schedule.
Cite as R.C. § 5735.06
History. Effective Date: 01-01-2003
Related Legislative Provision: See 130th General Assembly File No. 7, HB 51, §757.10.
See 129th General AssemblyFile No.7, HB 114, §755.30.