As used in this division:
(A) "Calendar quarter" and "person" have the same meanings as in section 5751.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) "Distribution system" means a bulk transfer or terminal system for the distribution of motor fuel consisting of refineries, pipelines, marine vessels, and terminals. For the purposes of this section, motor fuel that is in a refinery, pipeline, terminal, or marine vessel that is transporting motor fuel to a refinery or terminal is in a "distribution system." Motor fuel is "outside of a distribution system" if the fuel is in a fuel storage facility, including, but not limited to, a bulk plant that is not part of a refinery or terminal, the fuel supply tank of an engine or motor vehicle, a marine vessel transporting motor fuel to a fuel storage facility that is not in a distribution system, or a tank car, rail car, trailer, truck, or other equipment suitable for ground transportation.
(C) "Dyed diesel fuel," "import," "motor fuel," "public highways," and "terminal" have the same meanings as in section 5735.01 of the Revised Code.
(D) "First sale of motor fuel within this state" means the initial sale of motor fuel when sold for delivery to a location in this state.
(E) "Gross receipts" means the total amount received by a person, without deduction for the cost of goods sold or other expenses incurred, from the first sale of motor fuel within this state. For the purposes of division (E) of this section, "amount received" includes amounts accrued under the accrual method of accounting. "Gross receipts" shall not include any of the following amounts:
(1) Receipts derived from the sale of motor fuel when sold for export to another state;
(2) An amount equal to the federal and state excise taxes paid by the supplier on the motor fuel;
(3) Bad debts from receipts on the basis of which the tax imposed by this chapter was paid in a prior quarterly tax payment period. For the purpose of this division, "bad debts" has the same meaning as in section 5751.01 of the Revised Code.
(4) Any amount realized from the sale of an account receivable to the extent the receipts from the underlying transaction giving rise to the account receivable were included in the gross receipts of the taxpayer.
(F) "Motor fuel used to propel vehicles on public highways and waterways" includes motor fuel used for the operation of licensed motor vehicles employed in the maintenance, construction, or repair of public highways. "Motor fuel used to propel vehicles on public highways and waterways" does not include dyed diesel fuel.
(G) "Rack" means a mechanism capable of delivering motor fuel from a refinery, terminal, or marine vessel into a railroad tank car, transport truck, tank wagon, fuel supply tank, marine vessel, or other means of transport outside of a distribution system.
(H) "Refinery" means a facility used to produce motor fuel and from which motor fuel may be removed by pipeline, by vessel, or at a rack.
(I) "Supplier" means either of the following:
(1) A person that sells, exchanges, transfers, or otherwise distributes motor fuel from a terminal or refinery rack to a point outside of a distribution system, if the person distributes such motor fuel at a location in this state;
(2) A person that imports or causes the importation of motor fuel for sale, exchange, transfer, or other distribution by the person to a point outside of a distribution system in this state.
(J) "Tax period" means the calendar quarter on the basis of which a taxpayer is required to pay the tax imposed under this chapter.
(K) "Taxpayer" means a person subject to the tax imposed by this chapter.
(L) "Waterways" means all streams, lakes, ponds, marshes, water courses, and all other bodies of surface water, natural or artificial, which are situated wholly or partially within this state or within its jurisdiction, except private impounded bodies of water.
Added by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2013.