(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Borrower" means any person that receives a loan from the director of development under section 166.21 of the Revised Code, regardless of whether the borrower is subject to the tax imposed by this chapter.
(2) "Qualified research and development loan payments" has the same meaning as in section 166.21 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Related member" has the same meaning as in section 5733.042 of the Revised Code.
(B) For tax periods beginning on or after January 1, 2008, a nonrefundable credit may be claimed under this chapter equal to a borrower's qualified research and development loan payments made during the calendar year immediately preceding the tax period for which the credit is claimed. The amount of the credit for a calendar year shall not exceed one hundred fifty thousand dollars. No taxpayer is entitled to claim a credit under this section unless the taxpayer has obtained a certificate issued by the director of development under division (D) of section 166.21 of the Revised Code. The credit shall be claimed in the order required under section 5151.98 of the Revised Code. A credit claimed in calendar year 2008 may not be applied against the tax otherwise due under this chapter for a tax period beginning before July 1, 2008. No credit shall be allowed under this chapter if the credit was available against the tax imposed by section 5733.06 or 5747.02 of the Revised Code except to the extent the credit was not applied against such tax. The credit, to the extent it exceeds the taxpayer's tax liability for a tax period after allowance for any other credits that precede the credit under this section in that order, shall be carried forward to the next succeeding tax period or periods, but the amount of the excess credit claimed against the tax for any tax period shall be deducted from the balance carried forward to the next tax period.
(C) A borrower entitled to a credit under this section may assign the credit, or a portion thereof, to any of the following:
(1) A related member of that borrower;
(2) The owner or lessee of the eligible research and development project;
(3) A related member of the owner or lessee of the eligible research and development project.
A borrower making an assignment under this division shall provide written notice of the assignment to the tax commissioner and the director of development, in such form as the commissioner prescribes, before the credit that was assigned is used. The assignor may not claim the credit to the extent it was assigned to an assignee. The assignee may claim the credit only to the extent the assignor has not claimed it.
(D) If any taxpayer is a partner in a partnership or a member in a limited liability company treated as a partnership for federal income tax purposes, the taxpayer shall be allowed the taxpayer's distributive or proportionate share of the credit available through the partnership or limited liability company.
Effective Date: 06-30-2005