(A) The director of environmental protection shall administer and enforce this chapter and rules adopted under it.
(B) The director shall adopt, amend, and rescind such rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code as may be necessary or desirable to do both of the following:
(1) Govern public water systems in order to protect the public health;
(2) Govern public water systems to protect the public welfare, including rules governing contaminants in water that may adversely affect the suitability of the water for its intended uses or that may otherwise adversely affect the public health or welfare.
(C) The director may do any or all of the following:
(1) Adopt, amend, and rescind such rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code as may be necessary or desirable to do any or all of the following:
(a) Govern the granting of variances and exemptions from rules adopted under this chapter, subject to requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act;
(b) Govern the certification of operators of public water systems, including establishment of qualifications according to a classification of public water systems and of provisions for examination, grounds for revocation, reciprocity with other states, renewal of certification, and other provisions necessary or desirable for assurance of proper operation of water systems;
(c) Carry out the powers and duties of the director under this chapter.
(2) Provide a program for the general supervision of operation and maintenance of public water systems;
(3) Maintain an inventory of public water systems;
(4) Adopt and implement a program for conducting sanitary surveys of public water systems;
(5) Establish and maintain a system of record keeping and reporting of activities of the environmental protection agency under this chapter;
(6) Establish and maintain a program for the certification of laboratories conducting analyses of drinking water;
(7) Issue, modify, and revoke orders as necessary to carry out the director's powers and duties under this chapter and primary enforcement responsibility for public water systems under the "Safe Drinking Water Act." Orders issued under this chapter are subject to Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(D) Before adopting, amending, or rescinding a rule authorized by this chapter, the director shall do all of the following:
(1) Mail notice to each statewide organization that the director determines represents persons who would be affected by the proposed rule, amendment, or rescission at least thirty-five days before any public hearing thereon;
(2) Mail a copy of each proposed rule, amendment, or rescission to any person who requests a copy, within five days after receipt of the request;
(3) Consult with appropriate state and local government agencies or their representatives, including statewide organizations of local government officials, industrial representatives, and other interested persons.
Although the director is expected to discharge these duties diligently, failure to mail any such notice or copy or to consult with any person does not invalidate any proceeding or action of the director.
Cite as R.C. § 6109.04
History. Effective Date: 11-26-1997