(A) Except as provided in divisions (I) and (J) of this section, no person shall operate a public water system in this state without a license issued by the director of environmental protection.
(B) A person who proposes to operate a new public water system, in addition to complying with section 6109.07 of the Revised Code and rules adopted under it, shall obtain an initial license from the director. The person shall submit an application for the initial license at least forty-five days prior to commencing the operation of the system.
(C) A license shall expire on the thirtieth day of January in the year following its issuance.
(D) A license shall be renewed annually. A person proposing to continue operating a public water system shall apply for a license renewal at least thirty days prior to the expiration date of the license.
(E) Each application for a license or license renewal shall be accompanied by the appropriate fee established under division (M) of section 3745.11 of the Revised Code. However, an applicant for an initial license who is proposing to operate a new public water system shall submit a fee that equals a prorated amount of the appropriate fee established under that division for the remainder of the licensing year.
(F) Not later than thirty days after receiving a completed application and the appropriate license fee for a license or license renewal for a public water system, the director shall do one of the following:
(1) Issue the license or license renewal for the public water system;
(2) Issue the license or license renewal subject to terms and conditions that the director determines are necessary to ensure compliance with this chapter and rules adopted under it;
(3) Deny the license or license renewal if the director finds that the public water system cannot be operated in substantial compliance with this chapter and rules adopted under it.
(G) The director may condition, suspend, or revoke a license or license renewal issued under this section at any time if the director finds that the public water system was not or will not be operated in substantial compliance with this chapter and rules adopted under it.
(H) The director shall adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code establishing procedures and requirements governing both of the following:
(1) Information to be included on applications for licenses and license renewals issued under this section;
(2) The issuance, conditioning, suspension, revocation, and denial of licenses and license renewals under this section.
(1) As used in division (I) of this section, "church" means a fellowship of believers, congregation, society, corporation, convention, or association that is formed primarily or exclusively for religious purposes and that is not formed or operated for the private profit of any person.
(2) This section does not apply to a church that operates or maintains a public water system solely to provide water for that church or for a campground that is owned by the church and operated primarily or exclusively for members of the church and their families.
(J) This section does not apply to any public or nonpublic school that meets minimum standards of the state board of education that operates or maintains a public water system solely to provide water for that school.
(K) The environmental protection agency shall collect well log filing fees on behalf of the division of soil and water resources in the department of natural resources in accordance with section 1521.05 of the Revised Code and rules adopted under it. The fees shall be submitted to the division quarterly as provided in those rules.
Amended by 130th General Assembly File No. 25, HB 59, §101.01, eff. 6/30/2013, and 9/29/2013.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.127, HB 487, §101.01, eff. 9/10/2012.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 6/30/2011.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 06-26-2003; 06-30-2005; 2007 HB119 09-29-2007
Note: This section is set out twice. See also § 6109.21 , as amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 64, §101.01, eff. 1/1/2016.