(A) There is hereby created in the state treasury the drinking water protection fund, which shall be administered by the director of environmental protection. The fund shall consist of moneys distributed to it and shall be used for all of the following purposes:
(1) Administration of this chapter and rules adopted under it;
(2) Administration in this state of the Safe Drinking Water Act;
(3) Provision of technical assistance to public water systems in this state for the purposes of this chapter and rules adopted under it;
(4) Special studies conducted by the director for the monitoring and testing of drinking water quality in this state;
(5) Support of programs for the prevention of contamination of surface and ground water supplies in this state that are sources of drinking water.
(B) The director may expend not more than two hundred thousand dollars from the fund in each fiscal year for the purpose of making loans to owners and operators of public water systems for emergency remediation of threats of contamination to public water supplies. The director shall not loan more than twenty-five thousand dollars to the owner or operator of any single public water system. The director shall adopt, and may amend and rescind, rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code establishing application procedures and requirements for those loans. The rules shall require that an owner or operator receiving a loan under this division repay the loan to the fund not later than twelve months after receiving it.
Amended by 131st General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 64, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2015.
Effective Date: 07-01-1993 .