(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Limited liability company" means a limited liability company formed under Chapter 1705. of the Revised Code or under the laws of another state.
(2) "Pass-through entity" means a partnership, limited liability company, S corporation, or any other class of entity the income or profits from which are given pass-through treatment under the Internal Revenue Code.
(3) "Income from a pass-through entity" means partnership income of partners, membership interests of members of a limited liability company, distributive shares of shareholders of an S corporation, or other distributive or proportionate ownership shares of income from other pass-through entities.
(4) "Owner" means a partner of a partnership, a member of a limited liability company, a shareholder of an S corporation, or other person with an ownership interest in a pass-through entity.
(5) "Owner's proportionate share," with respect to each owner of a pass-through entity, means the ratio of (a) the owner's income from the pass-through entity that is subject to taxation by the municipal corporation, to (b) the total income from that entity of all owners whose income from the entity is subject to taxation by that municipal corporation.
(B) On and after January 1, 2003, any municipal corporation imposing a tax that applies to income from a pass-through entity shall grant a credit to each owner who is domiciled in the municipal corporation for taxes paid to another municipal corporation by a pass-through entity that does not conduct business in the municipal corporation. The amount of the credit shall equal the lesser of the following amounts, subject to division (C) of this section:
(1) The owner's proportionate share of the amount, if any, of tax paid by the pass-through entity to another municipal corporation in this state;
(2) The owner's proportionate share of the amount of tax that would be imposed on the pass-through entity by the municipal corporation in which the taxpayer is domiciled if the pass-through entity conducted business in the municipal corporation.
(C) If a municipal corporation grants a credit for a percentage, less than one hundred per cent, of the amount of income taxes paid on compensation by an individual who resides or is domiciled in the municipal corporation to another municipal corporation, the amount of credit otherwise required by division (B) of this section shall be multiplied by that percentage.
(D) On and after January 1, 2003, any municipal corporation that imposes a tax on income of or from a pass-through entity shall specify by ordinance or rule whether the tax applies to income of the pass-through entity in the hands of the entity or to income from the pass-through entity in the hands of the owners of the entity. A municipal corporation may specify a different ordinance or rule under this division for each of the classes of pass-through entity enumerated in division (A)(2) of this section.
Repealed by 130th General Assembly File No. TBD, HB 5, §2, eff. 3/23/2015, applicable to municipal taxable years beginning on or after 1/1/2016.
Effective Date: 09-26-2003