(1) Except as provided in division (A)(2) of this section, as used in this section, "eligible person" means a person who meets both of the following conditions:
(a) The person is receiving an annual pension or benefit under division (A), (B), or (C) of section 742.37 or division (C)(2), (3), (4), or (5) of former section 742.37 of the Revised Code based on an award made prior to July 24, 1986.
(2) A person is not an eligible person if the person is receiving a pension or benefit in accordance with rules in force on April 1, 1947, that govern the granting of pensions and benefits and that provide an increase in the original pension or benefit from time to time pursuant to changes in the salaries of active members.
(1) The board of trustees of the Ohio police and fire pension fund shall annually increase all benefits payable to eligible persons by three hundred sixty dollars, except that no benefit shall exceed the limit established by section 415 of the "Internal Revenue Code of 1986," 100 Stat. 2085, 26 U.S.C.A. 415 , as amended.
(2) The first increase is payable to all eligible persons on July 1, 1988. The increase is payable for the ensuing twelve-month period or until the next increase is granted under this section, whichever is later.
The date of the first increase payable under this section shall be the anniversary date for future increases.
(3) If payment of a portion of a benefit is made to an alternate payee under section 742.462 of the Revised Code, increases under this section granted while the order is in effect shall be apportioned between the alternate payee and the eligible person in the same proportion that the amount being paid to the alternate payee bears to the amount paid to the eligible person.
If payment of a portion of a retirement allowance is made to one or more beneficiaries under "option 4" under division (A)(4) of section 742.3711 of the Revised Code, each increase under this section granted while the plan of payment is in effect shall be divided among the designated beneficiaries in accordance with the portion each beneficiary has been allocated.
Effective Date: 02-01-2002; 10-27-2006