(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Agricultural product" means any of the following items that is produced for testing or research in the context of a product development program in conjunction or coordination with a private research facility, a university, or any federal, state, or local governmental agency or that is produced for personal, commercial, pharmaceutical, or educational purposes: field crop or field crop product; timber or timber product; forestry product; livestock or livestock product; meat or meat product; milk or dairy product; poultry or poultry product; equine animal; wool; fruit or vegetable crop; aquacultural product; algacultural product; horticultural crop, including plant materials grown in a greenhouse, nursery stock grown inside or outside of a container, ornamental grass, turf grass, ornamental trees, ornamental shrubs, or flowers; sod; mushrooms; viticultural product; apicultural product; tobacco; pasture; wild animal or domestic deer, as "wild animal" and "domestic deer" are defined in section 1531.01 of the Revised Code; monitored captive deer, captive deer with status, or captive deer with certified chronic wasting disease status as defined in section 943.01 of the Revised Code; or any combination of those items.
(2) "Algacultural product" means algal paste, algal powder, or dried algae that is comprised primarily of algal biomass.
(3) "Equipment" means any implement, machinery, real or personal property, building, or structure that is used in the production, growing, harvesting, or housing of any agricultural product. "Equipment" also includes any laboratory, research, product, samples, supplies, or fixed equipment that is used to test, develop, or analyze the process of producing, growing, or maintaining any agricultural product.
(4) "Material support or resources" means currency, payment instruments, other financial securities, financial services, lodging, training, safehouses, false documentation or identification, communications equipment, facilities, weapons, lethal substances, explosives, personnel, transportation, and other physical assets, except medicine or religious materials.
(5) "Payment instrument" means a check, draft, money order, traveler's check, cashier's check, teller's check, or other instrument or order for the transmission or payment of money regardless of whether the item in question is negotiable.
(6) "Specified offense" means either of the following:
(b) An attempt to commit, complicity in committing, or a conspiracy to commit an offense listed in division (A)(5)(a) of this section.
(B) No person shall commit a specified offense involving any agricultural product or equipment with the intent to do any of the following:
(1) Intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(2) Influence the policy of any government by intimidation or coercion;
(3) Affect the conduct of any government;
(4) Interrupt or interfere with agricultural production, agricultural research, or equipment for purposes of disrupting or influencing, through intimidation or other means, consumer confidence or agricultural production methods.
Division (B) of this section does not apply to the practice of veterinary medicine by a person who has been issued a valid license, temporary permit, or registration certificate to practice veterinary medicine under Chapter 4741. of the Revised Code. As used in this division, "practice of veterinary medicine" has the same meaning as in section 4741.01 of the Revised Code.
(C) No person shall raise, solicit, collect, donate, or provide any material support or resources with the purpose that the material support or resources will be used in whole or in part to plan, prepare, carry out, or aid in either a violation of division (B) of this section or in the concealment of, or an escape from, a violation of that division.
(1) In addition to the penalties established in section 901.99 of the Revised Code for a violation of this section, the court may require any person who violates this section to pay the victim of the offense an amount up to triple the value of the agricultural product or equipment that was the subject of the violation.
(2) In ordering restitution under division (D)(1) of this section, the court shall consider as part of the value of the agricultural product or equipment the market value of the agricultural product or equipment prior to the violation and the production, research, testing, replacement, and development costs directly related to the agricultural product or equipment that was the subject of the violation.
(E) The enactment of this section is not intended to require the prosecution exclusively under this section of an act, series of acts, or course of behavior that could be prosecuted either under this section or under another section of the Revised Code. One or more acts, series of acts, or courses of behavior that may be prosecuted either under this section or under another section of the Revised Code may be prosecuted under this section, the other section, or both sections.
Cite as R.C. § 901.511
History. Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.89, HB 389, §1, eff. 6/29/2012.
Amended by 129th General AssemblyFile No.82, HB 276, §1, eff. 6/4/2012.
Effective Date: 10-13-2004