No person shall sell any agricultural , vegetable, or flower seed:
(A) Unless the test used to determine the information concerning the seed's percentage of germination that is required by section 907.03 of the Revised Code to appear on the label of the seed has been completed within:
(1) A twelve-month period prior to sale, exclusive of the calendar month in which the test was completed, if the seed is not in hermetically sealed containers or if the seed is agricultural seed other than cool season grass seed;
(2) A fifteen-month period prior to sale, exclusive of the calendar month in which the test was completed, if the seed is a cool season grass seed or a mixture of or blend of only cool season grass seeds and if the seed is not in hermetically sealed containers;
(3) A thirty-six-month period prior to sale, exclusive of the calendar month in which the test was completed, if the seed is in hermetically sealed containers. Any such seed may be sold at any time after the thirty-six-month period has expired if it is retested prior to sale. Seed that has been retested may be sold for an additional time period if it is accompanied by a new label that complies with the labeling requirements established in sections 907.01 to 907.17 of the Revised Code. The time period shall consist of twelve consecutive months, not including the month in which the retest was performed. After the twelve-month period has expired, the cycle of retesting and relabeling followed by a twelve-month saleable period may be repeated one or more times.
(C) Pertaining to which there has been a false or misleading advertisement;
(D) If the seed contains prohibited noxious-weed seed. In addition, no person shall sell any tree or shrub seed that contains prohibited noxious-weed seed.
(F) If the seed is in containers bearing labels that state a liability or nonwarranty clause disclaiming responsibility for any information on the label required by section 907.03 of the Revised Code;
(G) If the seed contains more than one-fourth of one per cent by weight of restricted noxious-weed seed or more than two and one-half per cent of all weed seed;
(H) If the seed contains more than fifteen per cent by weight of inert matter unless the product is one of the following:
(1) A coated agricultural seed;
(2) A combination seed-mulch product containing not less than five per cent by weight of pure seed;
(3) Native grass seed that is designated by rules adopted by the director of agriculture as characteristically exhibiting high inert matter.
(I) At public auction unless the seed is labeled in accordance with sections 907.01 to 907.17 of the Revised Code and the person who labeled the seed obtained a permit to do so as provided in section 907.13 of the Revised Code;
(J) By variety name if the seed is not certified by a certifying agency if the seed is a variety for which a certificate of plant variety protection has been applied for or granted under the federal "Plant Variety Protection Act," 84 Stat. 1542 (1970), 7 U.S.C. 2321 et seq., as amended, which application or granted certificate specifies sale as a class of certified seed only, provided that seed from a certified lot may be labeled by variety name when used in a mixture by, or with approval of, the owner of the variety;
(K) If the seed is out of compliance with the tolerance established for it under rules adopted by the director.
Cite as R.C. § 907.07
History. Effective Date: 2003 HB143 10-29-2003