(1) No individual shall do any of the following without having a commercial applicator license issued by the director of agriculture:
(a) Apply pesticides for a pesticide business without direct supervision;
(b) Apply pesticides as part of the individual's duties while acting as an employee of the United States government, a state, county, township, or municipal corporation, or a park district, port authority, or sanitary district created under Chapter 1545., 4582., or 6115. of the Revised Code, respectively;
(c) Apply restricted use pesticides. Division (A)(1)(c) of this section does not apply to a private applicator or an immediate family member or a subordinate employee of a private applicator who is acting under the direct supervision of that private applicator.
(d) If the individual is the owner of a business other than a pesticide business or an employee of such an owner, apply pesticides at any of the following publicly accessible sites that are located on the property:
(i) Food service operations that are licensed under Chapter 3717. of the Revised Code;
(ii) Retail food establishments that are licensed under Chapter 3717. of the Revised Code;
(iii) Golf courses;
(iv) Rental properties of more than four apartment units at one location;
(vii) Facilities owned or operated by a school district established under Chapter 3311. of the Revised Code, including an education service center, a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, or a chartered or nonchartered nonpublic school that meets minimum standards established by the state board of education;
(x) Any other site designated by rule.
(e) Conduct authorized diagnostic inspections.
(2) Divisions (A)(1)(a) to (d) of this section do not apply to an individual who is acting as a trained serviceperson under the direct supervision of a commercial applicator.
(3) Licenses shall be issued for a period of time established by rule and shall be renewed in accordance with deadlines established by rule. The fee for each such license shall be established by rule. If a license is not issued or renewed, the application fee shall be retained by the state as payment for the reasonable expense of processing the application. The director shall by rule classify by pesticide-use category licenses to be issued under this section. A single license may include more than one pesticide-use category. No individual shall be required to pay an additional license fee if the individual is licensed for more than one category.
The fee for each license or renewal does not apply to an applicant who is an employee of the department of agriculture whose job duties require licensure as a commercial applicator as a condition of employment.
(B) Application for a commercial applicator license shall be made on a form prescribed by the director. Each application for a license shall state the pesticide-use category or categories of license for which the applicant is applying and other information that the director determines essential to the administration of this chapter.
(C) If the director finds that the applicant is competent to apply pesticides and conduct diagnostic inspections and that the applicant has passed both the general examination and each applicable pesticide-use category examination as required under division (A) of section 921.12 of the Revised Code, the director shall issue a commercial applicator license limited to the pesticide-use category or categories for which the applicant is found to be competent. If the director rejects an application, the director may explain why the application was rejected, describe the additional requirements necessary for the applicant to obtain a license, and return the application. The applicant may resubmit the application without payment of any additional fee.
(1) A person who is a commercial applicator shall be deemed to hold a private applicator's license for purposes of applying pesticides on agricultural commodities that are produced by the commercial applicator.
(2) A commercial applicator shall apply pesticides only in the pesticide-use category or categories in which the applicator is licensed under this chapter.
Amended by 128th General AssemblyFile No.9,HB 1, §101.01, eff. 7/17/2009.
Effective Date: 07-01-2004; 04-15-2005