(1) A person that possesses a restricted snake in this state prior to January 1, 2014, that wishes to continue to possess the restricted snake on and after that date, and that does not intend to propagate, sell, trade, or otherwise transfer the snake shall obtain a restricted snake possession permit under this section not later than January 1, 2014.
(2) A person that acquires a restricted snake in this state on or after January 1, 2014, and that does not intend to propagate, sell, trade, or otherwise transfer the snake shall obtain a restricted snake possession permit under this section not later than one hundred twenty days after acquiring the snake.
(3) An applicant need apply for only one permit regardless of the number of restricted snakes that the applicant possesses.
(B) An applicant for a restricted snake possession permit shall file an application for a permit with the director of agriculture on a form prescribed and provided by the director. The application shall include all of the following:
(1) The name, date of birth, address, social security number, and federal employer identification number, if applicable, of the applicant;
(2) If different from the information provided under division (B)(1) of this section, the name and address of the location where each restricted snake will be confined;
(3) A description of each restricted snake, including the scientific and common names, the name that the applicant has given the snake, the snake's sex, age, color, and weight, and any distinguishing marks or coloration that would aid in the identification of the snake;
(4) Proof of financial responsibility as required in division (D) of this section;
(5) Except as otherwise provided in this section, proof that the applicant has at least two years of experience in the care of the species of restricted snake or snakes that are the subject of the application. If an applicant cannot provide such proof, the applicant shall pass a written examination regarding the care of restricted snakes that is established and administered in accordance with rules. The requirements of division (B)(5) of this section do not apply with respect to a restricted snake specified in division (L)(1) of section 935.01 of the Revised Code.
(6) A plan of action to be undertaken if a restricted snake escapes;
(7) A written statement from a veterinarian stating that the veterinarian is willing to provide veterinary care to an applicant's restricted snake or snakes when the care is needed;
(8) Any additional information required in rules.
An applicant shall submit a copy of the plan of action required in division (B)(6) of this section to the sheriff of the county and to the chief law enforcement officer and fire chief of the township or municipal corporation having jurisdiction where the restricted snake or snakes are confined.
(C) An applicant shall submit a fee of one hundred fifty dollars with an application.
(1) Except as provided in division (D)(3) of this section, an applicant shall obtain and maintain proof of financial responsibility in one of the following forms:
(a) A liability insurance policy with an insurer authorized or approved to write such insurance in this state that covers claims for injury or damage to persons or property caused by a restricted snake possessed by the applicant or any resulting claims against the state;
(b) A surety bond, which shall be executed by a surety company authorized to do business in this state that covers claims for injury or damage to persons or property caused by a restricted snake possessed by the applicant or any resulting claims against the state. The bond shall be in a form approved by the director of agriculture.
(2) Proof of financial responsibility shall be in one of the following amounts, as applicable:
(a) One hundred thousand dollars if the applicant possesses not more than five restricted snakes;
(b) Two hundred fifty thousand dollars if the applicant possesses at least six, but not more than fifteen restricted snakes;
(c) Five hundred thousand dollars if the applicant possesses sixteen or more restricted snakes.
The amounts specified in division (D)(2) of this section shall be for each occurrence of injury or damage.
(3) Division (D)(1) of this section does not apply to an applicant that possesses one or more restricted snakes specified in division (L)(1) of section 935.01 of the Revised Code, but no other restricted snakes.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.113, SB 310, §1, eff. 9/5/2012.