(1) In lieu of obtaining any other permit under this chapter, a person that operates a rescue facility in this state prior to January 1, 2014, and that wishes to continue to operate a rescue facility on and after that date shall obtain a rescue facility permit under this section not later than January 1, 2014.
(2) A person that wishes to begin operation of a rescue facility in this state on or after January 1, 2014, shall obtain a rescue facility permit under this section not later than sixty days prior to beginning operation.
(1) An applicant for a rescue facility permit shall file an application for a permit with the director of agriculture on a form prescribed and provided by the director. The application shall include information that the director requires in rules.
(2) An applicant for a rescue facility permit shall submit one of the following fees, as applicable, with an application:
(a) Five hundred dollars if the applicant possesses not more than three dangerous wild animals;
(b) One thousand dollars if the applicant possesses at least four, but not more than fifteen dangerous wild animals;
(c) Two thousand dollars if the applicant possesses sixteen or more dangerous wild animals.
(3) If a permit application is denied, two hundred fifty dollars of the application fee shall be retained by the director as payment for the reasonable expense of processing the application and the remainder of the fee shall be returned to the applicant.
(C) The director shall issue or deny a rescue facility permit in accordance with rules. The director shall issue a rescue facility permit only if the dangerous wild animal or animals that are or are to be possessed by an applicant are sterilized.
(D) A person that has been issued a rescue facility permit under this section shall comply with the requirements regarding the care and housing of dangerous wild animals established in rules adopted under division (G) of section 935.17 of the Revised Code.
(E) A person that has been issued a rescue facility permit under this section may acquire, except by purchase, possession or ownership of a dangerous wild animal.
Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.113,SB 310, §1, eff. 9/5/2012.