(A) There is hereby created the dangerous wild animal state emergency response commission consisting of all of the following:
(1) The director of agriculture or the director's designee, who shall be the chairperson of the commission;
(2) The director of natural resources or the director's designee;
(3) The director of health or the director's designee;
(4) The executive director of the emergency management agency or the executive director's designee;
(5) A member of the house of representatives appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives;
(6) A member of the senate appointed by the president of the senate;
(7) Both of the following members who shall be appointed by the governor with the advice and consent of the senate:
(a) A person representing a local law enforcement agency;
(b) A person representing the owners of dangerous wild animals.
(B) Not later than thirty days after the effective date of this section, the governor shall make appointments to the commission. Of the initial appointments, one shall serve for a term of two years and one shall serve for a term of three years. Thereafter, terms of office shall be for three years, with each term ending on the same day of the same month as did the term that it succeeds. Each member shall hold office from the date of appointment until the end of the term for which the member was appointed.
Members may be reappointed. Vacancies shall be filled in the manner provided for original appointments. Any member appointed to fill a vacancy occurring prior to the expiration date of the term for which the member's predecessor was appointed shall hold office for the remainder of that term. A member shall continue in office subsequent to the expiration date of the member's term until the member's successor takes office or until a period of sixty days has elapsed, whichever occurs first.
The commission shall meet at times that the chairperson or a majority of the commission members considers appropriate, provided that no meeting shall be held on the call of the chairperson unless at least seven days' written notice first is provided to all members of the commission. At the first meeting of the commission in each calendar year, the director of agriculture shall designate one member of the commission to serve as its vice-chairperson. A majority vote of the members of the commission is necessary to take action on any matter. A vacancy on the commission does not impair the right of the other members to exercise all of the commission's powers.
Appointed members of the commission shall serve without compensation for attending commission meetings. Members of the commission shall be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of official duties as members of the commission.
The department of agriculture shall provide the commission with the personnel, office space, and incidentals necessary for it to perform its duties and exercise its powers.
(C) The commission shall do the following:
(1) Establish a state dangerous wild animal emergency response plan for escaped dangerous wild animals in this state;
(2) By resolution, appoint members to a dangerous wild animal county emergency response team for each county. A county emergency response team shall consist of the number of members that the commission considers appropriate, but shall include representatives from each of the following groups or organizations: elected local officials, law enforcement personnel, emergency management personnel, firefighting personnel, first aid personnel, health personnel, broadcast and print media personnel, and persons that possess dangerous wild animals.
(3) Examine and approve or reject emergency response plans submitted to the commission by each county's dangerous wild animal county emergency response team.
The commission shall establish procedures and requirements for the preparation and examination and the approval or rejection of a county's emergency response plan.
Cite as R.C. § 935.27
History. Added by 129th General AssemblyFile No.113, SB 310, §1, eff. 9/5/2012.