(A) Whenever a state agency or a political subdivision of the state is required by law to make any legal publication in a newspaper , the newspaper shall be a newspaper of general circulation . As used in the Revised Code, "newspaper" or "newspaper of general circulation," except daily law journals in existence on or before July 1, 2011, and performing the functions described in section 2701.09 of the Revised Code for a period of three years immediately preceding any such legal publication required to be made, is a publication bearing a title or name that is regularly issued at least once a week , and that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) It is printed in the English language using standard printing methods, being not less than eight pages in the broadsheet format or sixteen pages in the tabloid format.
(2) It contains at least twenty-five per cent editorial content, which includes, but is not limited to, local news, political information, and local sports.
(3) It has been published continuously for at least three years immediately preceding legal publication by the state agency or political subdivision.
(4) The publication has the ability to add subscribers to its distribution list.
(5) The publication is circulated generally by United States mail or carrier delivery in the political subdivision responsible for legal publication or in the state, if legal publication is made by a state agency, by proof of the filing of a United States postal service "Statement of Ownership, Management, and Circulation" (PS form 3526) with the local postmaster, or by proof of an independent audit of the publication performed, within the twelve months immediately preceding legal publication.
(B) A person who disagrees that a publication is a "newspaper of general circulation" in which legal publication may be made under this section may deliver a written request for mediation to the publisher of the publication and to the court of common pleas of the county in which is located the political subdivision in which the publication is circulated, or in the Franklin county court of common pleas if legal publication is to be made by a state agency. The court of common pleas shall appoint a mediator, and the parties shall follow the procedures of the mediation program operated by the court.
Cite as R.C. § 7.12
History. Amended by 129th General Assembly File No.28, HB 153, §101.01, eff. 9/29/2011.
Amended by 128th General Assembly File No.9, HB 1, §101.01, eff. 10/16/2009.
Effective Date: 10-07-1977