Rule 4501-7-30 | CDL school records.
[Comment: For dates and availability of material incorporated by reference in this rule, see paragraph (A) in rule 4501-7-39 of the Administrative Code.]
(A) Each school shall maintain the following records for three years from the date the record was finalized.
(1) A record of the material taught for each student in each training session, regardless of whether the student has completed all training.
(a) The student classroom and behind-the-wheel records shall include: the student's name and address, driver license or permit number and, if applicable, its validation date and the date of each training session, the actual starting time, break time, and the actual ending time for each session the student completed.
(b) Each session notation shall be signed or initialed by the student.
(c) The instructor who provided the instruction for each session shall initial the record and record the instructor's license number for each session.
(d) The training manager or a licensed instructor shall sign the final record. The signature of the training manager or instructor shall confirm all training has been successfully completed.
(e) A distinct record shall be kept for classroom training, and a distinct record shall be kept for behind-the-wheel training.
(2) For each student in a training course for the operation of commercial motor vehicles, the records shall include the following notations:
(a) That the student received all classroom training required by rule 4501-7-28 of the Administrative Code.
(b) That the student satisfactorily completed the behind-the-wheel instruction required by this chapter.
(c) The student's final test score.
(B) In addition to student records listed in paragraph (A) of this rule, the authorizing official or training manager of a driver training enterprise or school shall maintain a permanent file of the following records:
(1) A copy of each instructor's current license.
(2) An annual assessment for all instructors performed by the training manager that are in a written format pre-approved by the director. The assessments shall be maintained in the instructor's file.
(3) A complete copy of the driver training curriculum used by the school and any supporting textbooks, articles, or other sources of driver training information used for classroom or behind-the-wheel instruction.
(4) The current school license. A copy shall be stored in the files maintained by the enterprise and the original school license shall be posted in the school in a conspicuous location where any person who enters the school can see it. If a license cannot be posted at the school, the license, or a copy thereof, shall be carried to each training session provided in that school, and it shall be made available to any person upon request.
(5) A certificate of insurance verifying an active policy covering each vehicle used by the enterprise or its instructors for driver training with limits set forth in paragraph (B) of rule 4501-7-27 of the Administrative Code.
(6) A valid and current continuous performance bond covering the enterprise's obligations to provide student instruction as set forth in paragraph (D) of rule 4501-7-27 of the Administrative Code.
(7) A record of all driver training instructor's and manager's training provided to instructors and managers who are or who have been employed by the enterprise. The records shall include dates, times, location of training, and curriculum used. The enterprise shall maintain this record for all instructors currently employed and it shall be maintained for at least three years following the termination of an instructor's employment.
(C) If an instructor, authorizing official, or manager permits the use of a stamped or electronically produced signature, that instructor, official, or manager shall be responsible for securing the stamp or electronic means, and that instructor, official, or manager shall be responsible for any document on which that instructor's, official's, or manager's signature is produced.
(D) All of the documents listed in this rule shall be kept accurately and stored in a file in the office of the school. These documents shall be furnished upon request to the director.
(E) If a school closes or an enterprise discontinues business for any reason, the authorizing official or training manager shall complete and submit the "Enterprise Closing Procedure" to the director at least thirty days prior to closing.
When a driver training enterprise closes for any reason, including a license suspension or revocation, all unused certificates of completion shall be made inaccessible to the enterprise by the department.
(F) Certificate information shall be logged via the enterprise through an on-line system managed by the department. The authorizing official or training manager shall issue a "Certificate of Completion" to each out-of-state student completing the program as prescribed in paragraphs (J) and (K) or paragraphs (L) and (M), whichever are applicable, in rule 4501-7-28 of the Administrative Code. The "Certificate of Completion" shall be logged and printed by the enterprise through an on-line system managed by the department.
(G) The instructor's license, or a photocopy of the license, shall be maintained by the instructor, and by each enterprise for which the instructor trains. The license, or a photocopy thereof, shall be kept in the instructor's possession at any time the instructor is training students.
(H) No person shall falsify, alter, or in any manner tamper with any records required to be kept by this chapter.
(I) All records required to be maintained by an enterprise under the rules of this chapter shall be kept in a school's designated office that conforms to the standards under this chapter. Finalized records may be stored at the enterprise's main office. Active student records shall be stored on site in the classroom or in an office located in the same county as or in a county adjacent to where the training takes place. The authorizing official or training manager shall make all records available for inspection by the director or by a student at any and all reasonable times.
(J) All records required to be maintained by an enterprise that are stored electronically shall be stored either in a secured computer at the office for the enterprise or at a secure off-site data center. The authorizing official or training manager shall make all records available for inspection by the director or by a student at any and all reasonable times. These electronically stored records shall be accessible and capable of being distinguished from non-related records.