(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Electric cooperative" has the same meaning as in section 4928.01 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Service facilities" includes any conduit, cable, wire, tower, pole, or other equipment or appliance of a public utility or electric cooperative.
(B) A township shall lose all rights in and to any public road, highway, street, or alley which has been abandoned and not used for a period of twenty-one years, after formal proceedings for vacation as provided in sections 5553.04 to 5553.11 of the Revised Code have been taken. Upon petition for vacation of such a public road, highway, street, or alley filed with the board of county commissioners by any abutting landowner, if the board finds that the public road, highway, street, or alley has been abandoned and not used for a period of twenty-one years as alleged in the petition, the board , by resolution, may order the road, highway, street, or alley vacated, and the road, highway, street, or alley shall pass, in fee, to the abutting landowners , as provided by law, and subject to all of the following:
(1) Any existing right of way in, over, or under the road, highway, street, or alley for the service facilities of any public utility or electric cooperative for as long as the public utility or electric cooperative continues to render service to the public ;
(2) The right of ingress and egress for a public utility or electric cooperative to service and maintain its service facilities as provided under section 5553.043 of the Revised Code;
(3) The right to trim or remove any trees, shrubs, brush, or other obstacles growing in or encroaching onto the right of way that may affect the operation, use, or access to service facilities;
(4) Any right of way for public nonmotorized vehicular recreational use as provided under section 5553.044 of the Revised Code.
Effective Date: 10-20-1972; 06-10-2004