(A) As used in this rule, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Education management information system (EMIS)" means an integrated system of statewide data collecting, reporting, and compiling for school districts, including the publication of guidelines as defined in paragraph (A)(4) of this rule and as required by section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Department" means the Ohio department of education.
(3) "Information Technology Center (ITC)" means an entity that has been authorized as a data acquisition site pursuant to section 3301.075 of the Revised Code, and authorized by the department to provide core services to user entities.
(4) "Ohio education management information system: definitions, procedures, and guidelines," hereafter referred to as the "EMIS guidelines," which are available through the department's website at education.ohio.gov, means the publication issued by the department containing the school district student, staff, and financial information to be collected and reported, along with data-element definitions, procedures, and guidelines necessary to implement the education management information system.
(5) "School district" means any city, local, exempted village, or joint vocational school district, any educational service center, any community school, and any science, technology, engineering, and mathematics school established under chapter 3326. of the Revised Code.
(B) The provisions of this rule shall apply to school districts and Ohio's ITC's pursuant to section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code.
(C) The education management information system shall contain, but not be limited to, automated school district student, staff, and financial information. The information to be collected and reported shall be defined in the "EMIS guidelines." This publication shall be developed by the department and shall include, but not be limited to:
(1) Definitions of all data pursuant to divisions (A)(1), (B), and (C) of section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code.
(2) Procedures for collecting, transferring, and reporting data to the department pursuant to divisions (A)(2) and (D) of section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code.
(3) Procedures for the security, privacy, and retention of school district data records collected pursuant to section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code.
(4) Procedures for compiling the data pursuant to divisions (A)(3) and (E) of section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code.
(5) Procedures for annually reporting the data to the public pursuant to divisions (A)(4) and (F) of sections 3301.0714 of the Revised Code; sections 3319.32 and 3319.321 of the Revised Code; and 20 U.S.C. 1232(g). In accordance with these statutes, no data, such as a social security number, shall be used to release personally identifiable student information to the department.
(6) Procedures for user access to the education management information system data.
(D) School districts shall provide all data required by section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code as set forth in the "EMIS guidelines."
(E) Data shall be maintained within the education management information system pursuant to division (I) of section 3301.07 of the Revised Code.
(F) The EMIS guidelines shall be periodically reviewed by the department in consultation with the EMIS advisory council. The department shall update the guidelines in a manner consistent with changes in law and recommendations from the council to the state superintendent of public instruction.
(G) All EMIS data submitted for reporting purposes shall be verified and approved by the school district superintendent and treasurer.