(A) A formal recommendation, by the director of veteran services to the registrar of motor vehicles, shall be made for the establishment of military related license plates. All recommendations shall include eligibility and documentation requirements necessary for issuance.
(B) Pursuant to section 4503.29 of the Revised Code, license plates established under this program shall adhere to the following parameters:
(1) Any military nonstandard license plate issued by the registrar as of June 29, 2018 shall continue to be available for issue in accordance with division (C) of section 4503.29 of the Revised Code.
(2) Military nonstandard license plates that reflect service in the armed forces as defined in section 5903.01 of the Revised Code. Such plates may be issued to any eligible person currently serving, retired from, or veteran of the applicable branch of service. License plates created under this division shall be manufactured in accordance with rule 4501-27-01 of the Administrative Code. The registrar shall, with the assistance of the Ohio department of veterans services and the institute of heraldry, design the license plates.
(3) Military nonstandard license plates that reflect service participation in any named military campaign, expeditionary operation, or overseas defensive mission.
(4) Military nonstandard license plates that reflect military honors earned for valor or are only awarded for participation in combat operations.
(5) Except as provided in division (B)(1) of this rule, military nonstandard license plates that reflect unit awards, non-combat achievements, or individual qualifications are prohibited pursuant to division (B)(7) of section 4503.29 of the Revised Code.
(6) Military non-standard license plates shall only display one military designation.
Last updated October 12, 2021 at 12:25 PM