Rule 3301-24-06 | Professional development.
(A) Professional development shall be required for the renewal of all educators licenses except as otherwise noted in division (H) of section 3319.22 of the Revised Code. It shall be guided by the needs of the educator, students, school, and district and shall be aligned to the applicable professional educator standards adopted by the state board of education: (http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Teaching/Educator-Standards-Board). All professional development should lead to new or enhanced knowledge in the classroom and be related to student achievement.
(B) Each public school district and chartered nonpublic school shall appoint a local professional development committee in accordance with division (F) of section 3319.22 of the Revised Code. The local professional development committee shall oversee, review and approve professional development plans, coursework, continuing education units, or other equivalent activities required for the renewal of a professional license.
(1) Coursework, continuing education units or other equivalent activities may be combined.
(2) Coursework for the renewal of a license shall be completed at an accredited institution of higher education, defined in rule 3301-24-01 of the Administrative Code as a degree granting institution accredited at the college level by an accrediting agency that is recognized by the United States secretary of education.
(C) In order to meet professional license renewal requirements, an individual currently employed in Ohio as an educator shall:
(1) Develop an individual professional development plan, subject to approval of the local professional development committee. The plan shall incorporate the guidelines set forth in paragraph (A) of this rule; or
(2) Have earned national board certification during the life of the currently issued professional license.
(D) The holder of an educator license who is not employed in Ohio schools may apply directly to the Ohio department of education for renewal with evidence of coursework related to classroom teaching and/or the area of licensure, and upon evidence of meeting the requirements specified in rules 3301-24-08 and 3301-24-23 to 3301-24-26 of the Administrative Code.
(E) Each public school and chartered nonpublic school shall establish a local appeal process for educators who wish to appeal the decision of the local professional development committee.
(F) Whenever the coursework plan of an administrator, school treasurer, or school business manager is being discussed or voted upon, the local professional development committee shall, at the request of one of its administrative members, cause a majority of the committee to consist of administrative members by reducing the number of teacher members voting on the plan.
(G) An educator who holds an Ohio professional license may, subject to department approval, meet the renewal requirements as defined in rules 3301-24-08, 3301-24-25, and 3301-24-26 of the Administrative Code if the educator:
(1) Is currently employed as an educator in another state;
(2) Holds the equivalent of a valid standard educator license or certificate in that state; and
(3) Has completed coursework or continuing education units since the issuance of such license in that state related to classroom teaching and/or the area of licensure.