Rule 3301-25-10 | One-year instructional assistant permit; Renewal thereof.
(A) An instructional assistant permit may be issued upon the request and recommendation of a registered private provider under the autism scholarship program, as defined in section 3310.41 of the Revised Code, provided that the applicant meets the requirements set forth in division (B) of section 3310.43 of the Revised Code.
(B) Notwithstanding paragraph (A) of this rule, an individual employed by a registered private provider under the autism scholarship program shall have two years from the effective date of this rule to meet the educational requirements in division (B) of section 3310.43 of the Revised Code provided that the individual meets all of the other requirements listed in division (B) of section 3310.43 of the Revised Code.
(C) Pursuant to division (C) of section 3310.43 of the Revised Code, registered private providers shall demonstrate the necessary training and supervision of these individuals to the department of education by ensuring that:
(1) Direct supervision is provided by a qualified, credentialed individual who meets one of the requirements. The supervising person must be one of the following:
(a) A licensed intervention specialist in Ohio;
(b) A certified Ohio behavior analyst by the Ohio state board of psychology;
(c) A psychologist licensed to practice in Ohio under Chapter 4732. of the Revised Code;
(d) A school psychologist licensed by the state board of education under section 3319.22 of the Revised Code; or
(e) The holder of a doctoral degree in psychology or special education from a program approved by the chancellor of the Ohio department of higher education or the equivalent if completed outside the state of Ohio.
(2) The supervising person shall, on a consistent basis:
(a) Provide supervision for a minimum of five per cent of the hours of direct service provided by the instructional assistant;
(b) Observe the instructional assistant providing services by conducting at least one face-to-face contact if the service provided was five hours or less per month and two face-to-face contacts if services provided was more than five hours per month; and
(c) Maintain records of supervision.
(D) The registered private provider shall:
(1) Require ongoing training including a planned sequence of continuing education for instructional assistants under the providers supervision; and
(2) Provide training to instructional assistants annually.
(E) The permit issued under this rule may be renewed upon the request and recommendation of a registered private provider as defined in paragraph (A) of this rule provided that the applicant:
(1) Continues to meet the qualifications listed in paragraph (A) of this rule;
(2) Has successfully performed instructional tasks as verified by the registered private provider; and
(3) Has participated in and benefited from in-service training, as required and verified by the registered private provider in accordance with paragraph (C) of this rule. This shall include, at minimum, participation in training that is provided by the Ohio center for autism and low incidence (www.ocali.org) or another qualified entity.