Rule 3301-48-02 | Interdistrict open enrollment programs.
(A) Student application and admitting procedures.
(1) Each school district adopting an interdistrict open enrollment policy allowing either enrollment of adjacent school district or all other school district students tuition free pursuant to section 3313.98 of the Revised Code shall be required to include, but not limited to, the following provisions:
(a) A district-wide time line for parental information, the application process, and notification of student acceptance;
(b) Criteria for prioritizing applications for participation in interdistrict open enrollment;
(c) Criteria for establishing district capacity limits by grade level, school building and educational program; and
(d) Procedure to ensure that appropriate racial balance is maintained in the district schools.
(2) Each school district with an interdistrict open enrollment policy shall maintain but not be limited to, the following records:
(a) Individual student applications and a summary of those student applications for a school year;
(b) Evidence of parental informational meetings; and
(c) Evidence of notification of parents and school building administrators.
(B) School district monitoring.
(1) School districts participating in interdistrict open enrollment shall be monitored by the Ohio department of education. The monitoring process shall determine that the policies, agreements, procedures, and guidelines developed by school districts are implemented as specified in section 3313.98 of the Revised Code.
(2) For monitoring purposes, each school district shall provide the Ohio department of education with the following upon request:
(a) Written application and admission procedures and the application form used by the district;
(b) Written procedure for establishing district capacity limits by grade level, school building, and educational program; and
(c) Written procedure to ensure that an appropriate racial balance is maintained in the district schools.
(3) The monitoring process used by the Ohio department of education shall consist of the following:
(a) Pursuant to deadlines established by the Ohio department of education, districts will be required to certify to the department, in the format prescribed by the department, that the district is complying with the requirements in section 3313.98 of the Revised Code;
(b) Any change made by a school district to its interdistrict open enrollment policy shall be certified to the Ohio department of education within thirty days of the adoption of the resolution approving the change;
(c) Upon request, each district shall report any complaints filed or received regarding its interdistrict policy; and
(d) The Ohio department of education may request such documents as necessary to verify the open enrollment policies adopted are being adhered to by the district and complaints are being addressed. This monitoring may also be completed via an on-site visit to the district.
(C) Reporting requirements.
(1) A school district that has adopted a resolution permitting open enrollment shall report, by the date specified in section 3317.03 of the Revised Code, the number of adjacent district, other district, or other district joint vocational district students enrolled, the classes or grade levels assigned, and dates of enrollment to the Ohio department of education. Each native student's date of enrollment in an adjacent or other district shall also be reported.
(2) A school district that has adopted a resolution permitting open enrollment shall report, by the first day of September of each year, the number of adjacent district, other district, or other district joint vocational district students enrolled, the classes or grade levels assigned, and dates of enrollment to the superintendent of the student's native district. Students enrolling after said day shall be reported in a like manner.
(3) All school districts shall report, by the fifteenth day of June of each year, to the Ohio department of education, the number of native students enrolled in adjacent or other school districts and in an adjacent or other joint vocational school district and the number of adjacent or other school district students and adjacent or other joint vocational school district students enrolled pursuant to section 3313.98 of the Revised Code. Student average daily membership shall be reported on the basis of full-time equivalence.
(D) Financial calculations, credits to educating districts, and deductions to native districts shall be made in accordance with section 3313.981 of the Revised Code. Financial settlement of the credits and deductions shall be made with payments authorized by Chapter 3317. of the Revised Code.