Rule 3335-21-13 | Bicycles, motorized bicycles and toy vehicles.
(A) Application of rules to bicycles. The provisions of this chapter that are applicable to bicycles shall apply whenever a bicycle is operated upon a street or roadway or upon a path set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, subject to the exceptions stated in this rule.
(1) Every person riding a bicycle upon a street or roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle governed by this chapter, except for special rules and regulations and except for those provisions of these this chapter which by their nature can have no application.
(2) Any person operating a bicycle shall obey the instructions of official traffic control signals, signs and other control devices applicable to vehicles or pedestrians, unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer, traffic control officer, hospital and campus security officer, or public safety.
(3) Whenever authorized signs are erected indicating that no right, left or "U" turn is permitted, no person operating a bicycle shall disobey the directions of any such sign, except where such person dismounts from the bicycle to make any such turn, in which event such person shall then obey the rules applicable to pedestrians.
(B) Registration: A person riding or propelling a bicycle upon university property, grounds, streets or roadways, or parking such bicycle upon university property, should register such bicycle with the department of public safety.
(C) Riding on streets, roadways, bicycle paths and grounds.
(1) Every person operating a bicycle upon a street or roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the street or roadway as practical, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.
(2) Every person operating a bicycle upon university streets, roadways, bicycle paths or grounds shall at all times operate such bicycle with due regard to his or her own safety and the safety of other persons legally upon such streets, roadways, bicycle paths or grounds.
(3) Every person operating a bicycle upon university streets, roadways, bicycle paths or grounds shall yield the right of way to pedestrians on crosswalks and sidewalks.
(4) Every person operating a bicycle upon a bicycle pathway shall yield the right of way at designated yield signs or markings.
(5) Every person operating a bicycle upon university property or grounds shall be restricted to bicycle paths in those areas of the campus where such paths exist.
(6) Wherever a usable path for bicycles has been provided adjacent to a street or roadway, bicycle riders shall use such path and shall not use the street or roadway.
(D) Parking. No person shall park a bicycle other than in a bicycle rack or designated bicycle parking area.
(E) Signage. The university is hereby authorized to erect signs on any sidewalk, street or roadway prohibiting the riding of bicycles thereon by any person and when such signs are in place no person shall disobey the same.
(F) Use of skateboards, roller skates, roller blades, coasters, or similar devices. Persons using skateboards, roller skates, roller blades, coasters, or any similar device on university premises are limited to riding upon sidewalks and crosswalks and must yield the right of way to pedestrians, bicyclists, and motorists. The use of skateboards, roller skates, roller blades, coasters, or any similar device is prohibited in all other areas, including without limitation, upon roadways or bicycle paths; inside any university building; in any parking lot, garage, or construction area; or upon site furniture, architectural elements, walls, steps, ramps, or site improvements.
(G) Notices of violation. The operator of a bicycle in violation of any of the provisions of this chapter may be issued a notice of violation by a law enforcement officer or a hospital and campus security officer of the university.
(H) Impounding of bicycles, skateboards, roller skates, roller blades, coasters or similar devices. Any bicycle, skateboard, roller skate, roller blade, coaster, or similar device used in violation of any of the provisions of this chapter may be impounded by and held in the custody of university or the parking operator until there is final disposition of all issued notices of violation. Any impounded bicycle, skateboard, roller skate, roller blade, coaster, or similar device held in custody by the university or parking operator for longer than ninety consecutive days may be disposed of through an approved university process. A bicycle, skateboard, roller skate, roller blade, coaster, or similar device that the university or the parking operator has determined has been abandoned may be impounded by the university or the parking operator after it has been tagged for removal.
Prior Effective Dates: 3/13/1978, 11/19/1978, 8/2/1982, 10/18/1999, 7/1/2003