Rule 3344-61-03 | Annual performance evaluations.
(A) Cleveland state university is committed to promoting a highly engaged employee workforce. To achieve this, overall institutional goals are communicated, which are subsequently incorporated into college or department and individual staff member specific goals. Cleveland state university aligns the efforts of staff members towards achievement of university goals by providing performance planning, assessment, coaching and development.
(B) General. The department of human resources is responsible for the development, implementation, ongoing maintenance and training of the performance management system. All full and part-time professional staff members are required to participate in the annual performance appraisal process. Each supervisor is charged with ensuring the timely completion of the performance evaluation, approved by their immediate supervisor, prior to discussions with the staff member.
(C) The final performance evaluation, a shared responsibility between the staff member and supervisor, shall reflect each perspective on the attainment of previously established goals, an objective review of job competencies, and the execution of job responsibilities. The evaluation shall conclude with an overall supervisory rating with comments pertaining to the performance cycle, focusing on areas of achievement, areas for improvement, and goals for the subsequent year.
(1) Annual evaluation. Performance evaluations shall be completed annually. Professional staff members whose hire date is less than six months prior to the end of the evaluation cycle shall not be eligible for a merit adjustment, but may participate in a mid-year review.
(2) Implementation. The professional staff member's immediate supervisor is responsible for the timely completion and submission of the annual performance review. As part of this process, the supervisor ensures that the staff member and the next level supervisor have had input into the review process. The staff member must acknowledge that the performance discussion was held by providing an electronic signature.
(3) Professional staff members are encouraged to add their final comments following the discussion of the evaluation with the supervisor using the comments section under the overall rating tab.
(4) Review of performance evaluation. A staff member who disagrees with the overall performance evaluation rating may request a review by the department of human resources. The staff member must submit a written statement detailing the basis for the challenge with any relevant documentation supporting the claim. The assistant vice president of human resources or designee, shall review the submission and take whatever remedial action that may be warranted.
(5) The staff member's written statement must be submitted to their supervisor and human resources within ten working days after the final performance discussion. The staff member's rebuttal, plus any additional documentation resulting from it, shall be attached directly to the electronic performance assessment form. Additionally, the next level supervisor must be apprised of the rebuttal and any subsequent action.
(6) The results of the performance evaluation process, including the individual and overall rating scores and eligibility for any merit award based on the scores, shall not be subject to the complaint resolution steps and process set forth in paragraph (G) of rule 3344-61-08 of the Administrative Code.
Prior Effective Dates: 11/4/1977, 7/23/1996, 8/8/2005