Rule 3344-69-05 | Allowable Transportation.
(A) Common carrier
(1) Reimbursement for travel by air, rail, bus, or other common carrier shall not exceed the cost of coach fare or the economy rate in the chosen method of travel.
(2) The traveler shall be personally liable for any charges assessed due to his/her failure to cancel reservations within the time limit specified by carriers, unless the failure is due to circumstances beyond his/her control.
(3) Expenses claimed under this rule must be supported by an original receipt.
(B) Personal automobile
A traveler may be reimbursed for the use of a privately owned automobile at the federal government rate then in effect. The current mileage rate can be found on the university's web site.
(1) Reimbursement for use of a privately owned automobile shall not exceed the round trip coach air fare of all persons traveling in the car or the mileage allowance, whichever is the lesser.
(2) Mileage is payable to only one of two or more persons traveling on the same trip in the same vehicle. The names of all persons traveling on the same trip and in the same vehicle must be listed in the designated section of the travel and expense report.
(3) The mileage rate provided for in paragraph (B)(1) of this rule is meant to cover all expenses incurred in using a privately owned vehicle for university business except those covered under paragraph (D)(1) of this rule.
(4) Mileage while commuting to and from work will not be reimbursed. Mileage while commuting from home to an off-campus location may be reimbursed, but only to the extent that it exceeds mileage from the employee's home to CSU's campus.
(5) No traveler may be reimbursed for expenses on the mileage basis unless he/she carries motor vehicle liability insurance with coverage equal to or greater than that required by section 4509.51 of the Revised Code.
(C) Rented automobile
(1) With prior approval, the traveler may be reimbursed for the rental of an automobile used for official university business; and for gasoline purchased for the rented automobile. Original receipts must be submitted.
(2) The traveler must read and comply with the rental agreement's provisions covering driver eligibility, use of seat belts, and other restrictions.
(3) Reimbursement for use of a rented automobile shall not exceed the round trip coach air fare for all persons traveling in the car.
(4) Insurance requirements for rented vehicles vary based on vendor and location. Refer to the university's driving and motor vehicle policy for more information.
(5) The university has an exclusive agreement with Enterprise for rentals made in northeast Ohio. Under this agreement, Enterprise provides vehicles at discounted rates that include liability insurance. The traveler should visit the department of risk management's web site for more information.
(D) Other transportation expenses
(1) Reimbursement may be claimed for parking charges, ferry and taxi fares, bridge, highway and tunnel tolls, seat assignment and the first item of luggage charges. Excess baggage expenses are reimbursable in any of the following circumstances:
(a) Traveler is transporting university materials;
(b) Traveler is on an approved extended period of travel;
(c) Each item of expense claimed under this section must be listed on the travel approval and expense report. An original receipt is required for each item of expense greater than five dollars.
(E) Membership rewards programs
Frequent flyer and hotel reward program credits earned by university employees for travel on university business cannot be used for personal travel. These credits must be applied towards future university travel.