Rule 3358:5-1-16 | Chairperson's role.
(A) The chairperson is elected at the first regularly scheduled meeting of the calendar year by fellow board members. The chairperson may only serve in three consecutive years.
(B) As the elected leader of the board, the chairperson shall maintain the integrity of the boards process and represent the board to outside parties. The chairperson, or the chairpersons designee, is the only board member authorized to officially speak for the board. The chairperson shall ensure that the board and individual board members act consistently with the boards own rules and policies and those legitimately imposed upon the commission from outside the college. The chairperson shall:
(1) Preside at board meetings in an efficient and effective manner and set the general tone for each meeting through positive leadership.
(2) Ensure that discussion at board meetings is limited to those issues which, according to board policy, belong to the board to decide.
(3) Ensure that deliberations are fair, open, and thorough, but also efficient, timely, orderly, and to the point.
(4) Strive to achieve consensus among members on board decisions by stimulating a thorough discussion of the issues.
(5) Appoint a governance committee of the board to monitor such issues.
(C) The chairperson shall have the following additional responsibilities:
(1) Ensure that other board members are informed of current and pending board issues and processes.
(2) Appoint members of committees established by the board.
(3) Ensure compliance with all required duties imposed by law, including, but not limited to:
(a) Signing all official documents and contracts on behalf of the college as required by applicable law or regulation or as authorized by the board.
(b) Executing all necessary legal documents in the name of the board for the recovery of damages, money, penalty, forfeiture, or for other legal action.
(D) The chairperson is authorized to use any reasonable interpretation of the provisions in governance process and board-president relationship policies in carrying out his/her role. The chairperson is responsible for the board-president relationship and shall communicate and interact with the president. However, since the president is responsible to the entire board, the chairperson has no authority to unilaterally supervise or direct the president.
Prior Effective Dates: 10/14/2002, 3/18/2015