Rule 3701-40-05 | Qualifications of personnel conducting hearing screenings.
(A) A hearing screening shall be conducted under rule 3701-40-02 or 3701-40-06 of the Administrative Code and shall comply with written protocols developed by the hospital or freestanding birthing center.
(B) Any individual conducting hearing screenings must complete annual training in accordance to rule 3701-40-10 of the Administrative Code hat addresses at a minimum the following topics:
(1) The significance of universal newborn hearing screening, risk factors for hearing loss, and the importance of diagnostic hearing evaluations and early intervention for newborns and infants with hearing loss,
(2) Joint committee on infant hearing position statements, principles and guidelines,
(3) Conveying culturally and linguistically appropriate messages to families about the importance of screening, diagnostic hearing evaluations for non pass screening results, early intervention for hearing loss, and developmental milestones for speech and language acquisition,
(4) Documenting and completing paper and electronic records, including quality assurance activities, and
(5) Requirements for reporting hearing screenings results in accordance with rule 3701-40-02 or 3701-40-06 of the Administrative Code.
(6) Usage of hearing screening equipment to include hands-on-training with newborns, competency evaluation, skills demonstration and written testing.
(C) All training of individuals conducted pursuant to this paragraph shall be completed prior to the administration of a hearing screening and on an annual basis thereafter.