Rule 3701-5-12 | Disclosure of medical and health information.
(A) The state registrar or the local registrar may disclose data from vital statistics records including data from the "information for medical and health use only" to any governmental agency or political subdivision that request the data for statistical or research purposes in the course of their official duties.
(B) The director or state registrar may permit the release of data from the "information for medical and health use only" section of a birth record, for appropriate statistical or research purposes after consultation with the department institutional review board. No data shall be furnished from records for statistical or research purposes until the department institutional review board has received an agreement signed by a responsible agent of the research organization agreeing to conform to the following release conditions:
(1) Research protocol must be submitted to the department for review and approval;
(2) The release agreement must state that vital statistics information received will not become part of any permanent record in the institution or organization;
(3) The release agreement must state that vital statistics information will be kept confidential and will not be provided to another individual, agency, or organization;
(4) Copies of survey letters and/or questionnaires must be submitted for approval when used in conjunction with vital statistics information;
(5) If applicable, copies of human subject review board/committee approval from institution or other organization must be submitted;
(6) Any other conditions deemed necessary by the director to protect the confidentiality of the "information for medical and health use only" section of the certificate of birth.
Last updated November 2, 2022 at 1:55 PM