Rule 3745-65-16 | Personnel training.
(1) Facility personnel shall successfully complete a program of classroom instruction or on-the-job training that teaches facility personnel to perform facility personnel's duties in a way that ensures the facility's compliance with Chapters 3745-65 to 3745-69 and 3745-256 of the Administrative Code. The owner or operator shall ensure that this training program includes all the elements described in the document required under paragraph (D)(3) of this rule.
(2) This training program shall be directed by a person trained in hazardous waste management procedures, and shall include instruction which teaches facility personnel hazardous waste management procedures, including contingency plan implementation, relevant to the positions in which facility personnel are employed.
(3) At a minimum, the training program shall be designed to ensure that facility personnel are able to respond effectively to emergencies by familiarizing facility personnel with emergency procedures, emergency equipment, and emergency systems, including, where applicable:
(a) Procedures for using, inspecting, repairing, and replacing facility emergency and monitoring equipment;
(b) Key parameters for automatic waste feed cut-off systems;
(c) Communications or alarm systems;
(d) Response to fires or explosions;
(e) Response to ground water contamination incidents; and
(f) Shutdown of operations.
(4) For facility employees who receive emergency response training pursuant to "Occupational Safety and Health Administration" (OSHA) regulations 29 CFR 1910.120(p)(8) and 29 CFR 1910.120(q), the facility is not required to provide separate emergency response training pursuant to this rule, provided that the overall facility training meets all the requirements of this rule.
(B) Facility personnel shall successfully complete the training program required in paragraph (A) of this rule within six months after January 7, 1983 or six months after the date of employment or assignment to a facility, or to a new position at a facility, whichever is later. Employees hired after January 7, 1983 shall not work in unsupervised positions until such employees have completed the training requirements of paragraph (A) of this rule.
(C) Facility personnel shall take part in an annual review of the initial training required in paragraph (A) of this rule during each period from January first to December thirty-first. The review shall occur within fifteen months after the previous review.
(D) The owner or operator shall maintain the following documents and records at the facility:
(1) The job title for each position at the facility related to hazardous waste management, and the name of the employee filling each job;
(2) A written job description for each position listed under paragraph (D)(1) of this rule. This description may be consistent in the degree of specificity with descriptions for other similar positions in the same company location or bargaining unit, but shall include the requisite skill, education, or other qualifications, and duties of facility personnel assigned to each position;
(3) A written description of the type and amount of both introductory and continuing training that will be given to each person filling a position listed under paragraph (D)(1) of this rule; and
(4) Records that document that the training or job experience required under paragraphs (A), (B), and (C) of this rule has been given to, and completed by, facility personnel.
(E) Training records on current personnel shall be kept until closure of the facility. Training records on former employees shall be kept for at least three years after the date the employee last worked at the facility. Personnel training records may accompany personnel transferred within the same company.
[Comment: For dates of non-regulatory government publications, publications of recognized organizations and associations, federal rules, and federal statutory provisions referenced in this rule, see rule 3745-50-11 of the Administrative Code titled "Incorporated by reference."]
Last updated October 24, 2022 at 8:58 AM