Rule 4501-21-15 | Ranges, vehicles, and insurance for advanced juvenile driver improvement programs.
[Comment: For dates and availability of material incorporated by reference in this rule, see paragraph (A) in rule 4501-21-17 of the Administrative Code.]
(A) The range shall be a closed-course facility that:
(1) Contains exercise dimensions that include, at a minimum, the following:
(a) Spin-and-skid control exercise area, with speeds at no more than twenty miles per hour, shall be no less than three hundred eighty-five feet in length by one hundred eighty feet in width;
(b) Vehicle control in inclement weather conditions exercise area, with speeds at no more than twenty-five miles per hour, shall be no less than two hundred fifty feet in length by fifty feet in width;
(c) Emergency transition maneuvers exercise area, with speeds at no more than thirty-five miles per hour, shall be no less than four hundred twenty-five feet in length by sixty feet in width.
(2) Has adequate unobstructed run-off areas;
(3) Has paths of travel that shall provide adequate space to minimize risk to students;
(4) Has paved or concrete, reasonably level surfaces that are in decent condition and free of potholes, loose materials or other surface defects; and
(5) Does not contain obstacles within the exercise areas.
(B) All vehicles used in the training of this program shall meet the minimum vehicle requirements set forth in Chapter 4513. of the Revised Code.
(C) The authorizing official of a course using the enterprise's vehicles shall have the vehicles inspected annually by the Ohio highway patrol and each vehicle shall display a valid inspection decal.
(D) The advanced skills instructor or chief instructor of a course allowing the use of a student's vehicle shall:
(1) Require each student to provide a "Vehicle Inspection" that has been performed within ninety days prior to the student taking the course; and
(2) Consider the size of the vehicle to determine the capability of the vehicle to navigate safely through the drills.
(E) Vehicles used in the operation of the spin-and-skid control driving exercise shall be equipped with devices that simulate the loss of grip and maintain all four of the vehicle's tire contact patches during the exercise.
(F) The authorizing official shall maintain financial responsibility for the operation of all motor vehicles used for instruction as specified in Chapter 4509. of the Revised Code. Such insurance coverage shall be acquired from a company licensed to do business in this state and shall be maintained as long as the remedial course is operating as an advanced juvenile driver improvement program. Proof of this insurance coverage shall be maintained in the school office and with all motor vehicles used for instruction. The certificate of insurance shall be available for inspection during reasonable hours.
(1) Insurance coverage shall be maintained in the following minimum limits:
(a) Five hundred thousand dollars combined single limit liability coverage;
(b) Twenty-five thousand dollars for injury to property of others in any one crash;
(c) Five thousand dollars medical payments for each occupant;
(d) Uninsured motorists coverage at least equal to the bodily injury coverage required in paragraph (F)(1)(a) of this rule.
(2) For vehicles used solely for the operation of the advanced juvenile program on a closed range facility, vehicle insurance may be maintained under the business general liability in amounts at least equal to the liability coverage specified in (F)(1) of this rule. The insurance shall stipulate that the coverage pertains to the operations of an advanced juvenile program at the designated facility.
(3) Failure to maintain the required insurance, including record of current coverage as required by this rule, may result in the suspension or revocation of an advanced juvenile driver improvement program approval.
(G) Students providing motor vehicles for their own instruction shall, before such motor vehicle is used for any instruction, provide proof of insurance or other financial responsibility that indicates compliance with Chapter 4509. of the Revised Code.
(H) No student's vehicle may be used for the operation of the spin-and-skid control exercise.