Rule 4723-26-09 | Supervision of the performance of a nursing task performed by a community health worker.
(A) When a community health worker is performing a nursing task in accordance with this chapter, supervision shall be provided by a registered nurse. For purposes of this rule, supervision includes initial and ongoing direction, procedural guidance, and observation and evaluation. The registered nurse providing the supervision for a delegated nursing task shall evaluate and document the following on an ongoing basis:
(1) The degree to which the nursing care needs of the individual are being met;
(2) The performance by the community health worker of the delegated nursing task;
(3) The need for further instruction to the community health worker who is performing the nursing task; and
(4) The need to withdraw the delegation.
(B) For purposes of providing supervision to a community health worker performing a delegated nursing task, the registered nurse must be either:
(1) Continually accessible to the community health worker in person; or
(2) Continually available to the community health worker by some form of telecommunication.
(C) In determining the number of community health workers that a registered nurse may supervise, the registered nurse shall consider all of the following:
(1) A registered nurse may not supervise any more than five community health workers at one given time;
(2) The number of clients who require nursing care and the health status of those clients;
(3) The types and numbers of nursing tasks delegated to each community health worker;
(4) The competency, dependability, and reliability of each community health worker to be supervised;
(5) The number of different settings in which the community health workers will be providing services and the proximity between these settings and the location of the registered nurse; and
(6) The availability of emergency aid if the registered nurse is not able to reach, in a timely manner, the setting in which the community health workers are providing services.
Last updated June 10, 2022 at 8:35 AM