Rule 4723-7-10 | Volunteer's certificate.
[Comment: Information regarding the availability and effective date of the materials incorporated by reference in this rule can be found in paragraph (G) of rule 4723-1-03 of the Administrative Code.]
(B) An individual who holds a lapsed license to practice, as a licensed practical nurse, registered nurse, or advanced practice registered nurse, issued by the board or by a jurisdiction of the national council of state boards of nursing, may be issued a volunteer's certificate if:
(1) The requirements set forth in section 4723.26 of the Revised Code are met;
(2) The applicant has completed and submitted a "Volunteer's Certificate Application"; and
(3) The applicant has provided documentation satisfactory to the board of twenty-four contact hours of continuing education, completed in the twenty-four month period immediately before the application date, that meets the requirements of Chapter 4723-14 of the Administrative Code, and includes:
(a) Two contact hours of category A with learning outcomes that address standards of safe practice and nursing delegation;
(b) One contact hour that includes content in patient abuse, patient rights, and professional boundaries;
(c) Two contact hours that include content in the scope of practice of the licensed practical nurse, if the applicant is a retired licensed practical nurse, or two contact hours that include content in the scope of practice of the registered nurse, if the applicant is a retired registered nurse or advanced practice registered nurse;
(d) Two contact hours in nursing documentation;
(e) Three contact hours in principles of pain management;
(f) One contact hour that addresses the application of the nursing process and critical thinking related to patient care;
(g) One contact hour that includes content in maintaining patient confidentiality;
(h) Four contact hours in patient assessment and wound care;
(i) Four contact hours in medication administration and preventing medication errors; and
(j) Four contact hours relevant to the nurse's anticipated practice setting.
(C) No fee shall be charged in order to obtain a volunteer's certificate.
(D) A volunteer's certificate is valid, unless suspended or revoked by the board, for a period of two years from the date the board issues the certificate, and may be renewed according to paragraph (O) of rule 4723-7-09 of the Administrative Code.
(E) An individual holding a current, valid volunteer's certificate issued by the board:
(1) Shall only provide nursing services to indigent and uninsured persons, as defined in section 2305.234 of the Revised Code;
(2) Shall not accept any form of remuneration for providing nursing services; and
(3) Shall at all times while engaging in nursing practice display identification that clearly identifies the person as holding a volunteer's certificate, and shall not represent them self as, sign documents as, or use titles indicating that the person is licensed as a licensed practical nurse, registered nurse or advanced practice registered nurse, without also referencing the volunteer's certificate status. Volunteer's certificate status may be abbreviated in nursing documentation as "V.C."
(F) A certificate holder may place a volunteer's certificate on inactive status by submitting a written request to the board. To reactivate an inactive certificate or reinstate a lapsed certificate, the holder must submit a completed "Volunteer's Reactivation and Reinstatement Application," with all required records, and provide documentation of continuing education as set forth in paragraph (K) of rule 4723-14-03 of the Administrative Code. If the applicant has been lapsed or inactive for at least five years from the date of the application, the requirements set forth in division (D) of section 4723.24 of the Revised Code must be met in order to be eligible to reactivate or reinstate the certificate.
(G) A certificate holder engaged in active military duty may be eligible for an extension of time to complete continuing education as provided in rule 4723-2-04 of the Administrative Code.
(H) The provisions of section 4723.28 of the Revised Code apply to a volunteer's certificate issued by the board.
(1) A volunteer's certificate holder shall be subject to disciplinary action for any of the grounds set forth in section 4723.28 of the Revised Code;
(2) A certificate holder who continues to practice nursing in Ohio with a lapsed or inactive certificate, who fails to comply with the scope of practice and other provisions set forth in section 4723.26 of the Revised Code, or who violates the provisions of this rule, shall be subject to disciplinary action according to section 4723.28 of the Revised Code.
Last updated February 1, 2022 at 8:54 AM