Rule 4729:3-3-01 | Pharmacy Technician Trainees.
(A) A pharmacy technician trainee shall wear a name tag or badge which contains the designation "Pharmacy Technician Trainee." The required designation may be added to an existing name tag or badge. The name tag or badge and the required designation shall contain lettering of a legible size.
(B) A pharmacy technician trainee may, under the direct supervision of a pharmacist, engage in the following activities at a location licensed as a terminal distributor of dangerous drugs to the extent that the activities do not require the exercise of professional judgment:
(1) Accepting new written, faxed or electronic prescription orders from a prescriber or a prescriber's agent but shall not include verbal orders;
(2) Entering information into and retrieving information from a database or patient profile;
(3) Preparing and affixing labels;
(4) Stocking dangerous drugs and retrieving those drugs from inventory;
(5) Counting and pouring dangerous drugs into containers;
(6) Placing dangerous drugs into containers prior to dispensing by a pharmacist;
(7) Non-sterile drug compounding following the completion of site-specific training pursuant to rule 4729:3-3-02 of the Administrative Code;
(8) Sterile drug compounding following the completion of a site-specific training pursuant to rule 4729:3-3-02 of the Administrative Code;
(9) Packaging and selling a dangerous drug to a patient or patient representative; and
(10) Sending or receiving electronic prescriptions between pharmacies accessing the same prescription records in a centralized database or pharmacy computers linked in any other manner.
(C) A pharmacist is not permitted to supervise more than three pharmacy technician trainees engaging in the activities pursuant to paragraph (B) of this rule at any time, unless otherwise approved by the board.
(D) The number of pharmacy technician trainees supervised by a pharmacist does not limit the number of pharmacy interns that can be supervised by a pharmacist in accordance with rule 4729:2-1-01 of the Administrative Code.
Last updated April 27, 2021 at 3:15 PM