Rule 4729:5-5-02 | Minimum standards for an outpatient pharmacy.
(1) All pharmacists working in a pharmacy must be able to access all current federal and state laws, regulations, and rules governing the legal distribution of drugs in Ohio, including internet access to the following:
(a) The board's website;
(b) LAWriter Ohio laws and rules (http://codes.ohio.gov/);
(c) The code of laws of the United States of America (variously abbreviated to Code of Laws of the United States, United States Code, U.S. Code, U.S.C., or USC); and
(d) The code of federal regulations.
(2) The pharmacy shall have access to and utilize the references necessary to conduct a pharmacy in a manner that is in the best interest of the patients served and to comply with all state and federal laws, this shall include hard copy or internet access to appropriate pharmacy reference materials.
(3) All pharmacists working in a pharmacy shall have access to the telephone number of a poison control center.
The pharmacy shall carry and utilize the equipment necessary to conduct a pharmacy in a manner that is in the best interest of the patients served and to comply with all state and federal laws.
(C) Stock of drugs
The stock of drugs shall include such chemicals, drugs, and preparations sufficient to compound and prepare all types of prescriptions offered by the pharmacy.
(D) Prescription containers
The stock of prescription containers shall include such containers as are necessary to dispense drugs in accordance with federal and state laws, including the provisions of the federal Poison Prevention Act of 1970 and compendial standards, or as recommended by the manufacturer or distributor for non-compendial drug products.
(E) Space and fixtures
(1) The library and equipment shall be housed in a suitable, well-lit and well-ventilated room or department and maintained in a clean, sanitary and orderly condition.
(2) All areas where drugs and devices are stored and prepared shall be dry, well-lit, well-ventilated, and maintained in a clean, sanitary and orderly condition. Storage areas shall be maintained at temperatures and conditions which will ensure the integrity of the drugs prior to their dispensing or administering as stipulated by the USP/NF and/or the manufacturer's or distributor's labeling.
(3) All storage areas shall provide adequate security for all dangerous drugs in accordance with the requirements of agency 4729 of the Administrative Code. A pharmacy shall maintain the current contact information for the pharmacy's security system vendor.
(F) Pharmacy hours
Notice to the public of operating hours of the pharmacy department must be posted.
(1) The pharmacy shall be appropriately staffed to operate in a safe and effective manner pursuant to section 4729.55 of the Revised Code.
(2) An employee of a pharmacy must be identified by a name tag that includes the employee's job title.