Rule 4757-13-09 | Counselor trainee registration.
(A) Counseling students enrolled in a practicum or internship in Ohio prior to receiving their counseling degree are eligible to register as a "counselor trainee" as authorized in section 4757.10 of the Revised Code and defined in paragraph (T) of rule 4757-3-01 of the Administrative Code. Students are not required by the board to have counselor trainee status to complete their practicum or internship requirements, including the provision of supervised counseling services, but may be required to obtain registration as a counselor trainee by the supervising agency as a condition of acceptance for practicum or internship. A student may also voluntarily choose to apply for registration as a counselor trainee. Applicants for counselor trainee status shall:
(1) Meet the board's requirements for criminal convictions as established under section 9.79 of the Revised Code;
(2) Provide criminal records checks per paragraph (E) of rule 4757-1-04 of the Administrative Code;
(3) Apply on a form specified by the board and comply with rule 4757-1-04 of the Administrative Code;
(4) Provide proof of enrollment in a master's or doctoral-level level practicum or internship course. A copy of the university's online enrollment document shall be acceptable; or a letter, email or facsimile from the professor, counseling office or registrar stating the applicant is enrolled;
(5) Provide proof of enrollment as specified in paragraph (A)(4) of this rule for their existing registration to be extended through the dates of that course. A separate application may be required for practicum and internship;
(6) Have the same scope of practice as a licensed professional counselor in rule 4757-15-01 of the Administrative Code, but require much closer supervision during the training process; and
(7) Shall be supervised by a licensed professional clinical counselor and in internships have duties that include the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders. Supervision shall be per rule 4757-17-01 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Counselor trainee status is not a substitute for licensure and is only valid at the school approved field placement site(s) where the student is completing his or her field placement, and through the dates listed on the board's online license verification system.
(C) Trainee status shall be active only within the dates displayed on the online license verification system.
(D) Trainee status may be extended for up to no more than six months following the trainee's date of graduation.
(E) Ensuring the counselor trainee is properly registered and listed on the licensure web site https://license.ohio.gov is the responsibility of the counselor trainee, but shall be monitored by the work place supervisor or agency at time of placement and subsequent extensions of counselor trainee status.
Last updated March 21, 2022 at 8:35 AM