Rule 4765-18-21 | Upgrade process for certificate to teach as assistant EMS instructor to EMS instructor.
[Comment: For dates and availability of material incorporated by reference in this rule see rule 4765-1-03 of the Administrative Code.]
(A) An individual holding a current and valid certificate to teach as an assistant EMS instructor who wants to upgrade to an EMS instructor must meet all of the following:
(1) Submits a completed "EMS Instructor Initial Application";
(2) Must complete the forty hours in instruction of adult students and basic teaching techniques or must complete the mentorship program, as required in rule 4765-18-04 of the Administrative Code;
(3) Satisfies the requirements for a certificate to practice a set forth in paragraphs (A)(6) to (A)(12) of rule 4765-8-01 of the Administrative Code;
(4) Possesses a current and valid certificate to practice as an EMS provider or holds a current and valid Ohio license to practice as a registered nurse or a physician assistant;
(5) Has passed the knowledge examination at the level of the individual's certificate to practice as an EMS provider, within the preceding three years. However, if the individual passed the knowledge examination in order to become certified as an assistant EMS instructor, regardless of time elapsed since passing the test, the individual is not required to pass another knowledge examination.
(6) Has passed the instructional methods examination. Failure to pass this examination within three attempts within one year from completion of the instructor training program will require a completion of new EMS instructor training program.
(B) The division shall consider relevant education, training, or service completed by the holder of a certificate to practice as a member of the armed forces of the United States, the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, or the national guard of any other state or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States; in determining whether the holder of a certificate to practice has met the experience and educational requirements for a certificate to teach as an EMS instructor set forth in paragraph (A) of this rule.
(C) All requirements for the upgrade must have been completed within the preceding three years.